Another Tool For Those Who do Not Have Fancy Prep Equipment

minnbuckeye

Our Rock and Fossil Club participates in an event called "Day at the Quarry" where children (and adults) with interest in Geology and Paleontology spend an afternoon in a local quarry learning about its operation as well as collecting minerals and fossils.

20231001_121514-001.thumb.jpg.a9c66886f3884990a7120776a7eee50a.jpg

20231001_121554-001.thumb.jpg.b8ceeacc75335a3c20094e32fa2b6ab1.jpg

20231001_121452-001.thumb.jpg.47dfaa42f7a91f83af3ec00a8238d1af.jpg

Inside the main tent, one of our members was showing off a collection of crystals for the visitors. In addition, he had brought one of his prep tools to clean out the interior of geodes that the children broke open. It was a textile cleaning gun which shoots a high velocity stream of water, great for cleaning both textiles and rocks!! I was so impressed with its ability to clean, that I ordered one immediately upon arriving home, at a cost of around $50.00. It is visible on the center of his table. 

20231001_121620-003.jpg.1e1a3890e88239e7812e0a7ca214daa2.jpg

20231001_135232-001.thumb.jpg.a4be25f56edb3c768b6b2e5be11714e3.jpg

DSC_0300-001.thumb.JPG.f5ba62983ea2bf4a974dbc11e234fe72.JPG

As mentioned, it is high velocity and can actually injure your hand if in the way of the stream of water. Here are two examples of its use on brachiopods. What a difference! Takes just seconds. No pin vice can clean out the crevasses as well as this device!!! Though I must divulge, it does NOT remove all of the matrix stuck to some fossils and occasionally will destroy a fossil due to too much pressure. So it is a learning curve in deciding when to use it.

2023-11-183.thumb.jpg.1f745f9377de506c9f43e9acec8cefc7.jpg

2023-11-019.thumb.jpg.33ae295f3d948f4a0cba01d0ae9e1c85.jpg

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 1

My geologist friend uses one of these with great results. It's basically a miniature power washer. I can see this being good for extremely stable fossils. I wonder if you could safely use ethanol in it to prep hydrophilic fossils? I'm thinking of Pleistocene specimens that will fall apart if exposed to water... 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Yeah, the miracles of a high-pressure washer!

It works also with the big fellas, not more harm done, because pressure is not higher.

Franz Bernhard

Just now, Ptychodus04 said:

I wonder if you could safely use ethanol in it to prep hydrophilic fossils?

No, certainly not safely! You have to use an unflamable liquid! Otherwise, you are very probably doomed 😵!
Franz Bernhard

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

No, certainly not safely! You have to use an unflamable liquid! Otherwise, you are very probably doomed 😵!
Franz Bernhard

That might have unfortunate side effects...

• I Agree 1

Thanks for the tool tip. That "Day at the Quarry" event looks terrific.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

You could use the ethanol for about two minutes before you pass out drunk. 🍸 Now that's what is known as an extra-extra-dry martini.  😀

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

16 hours ago, Pagurus said:

"Day at the Quarry" event looks terrific.

@Pagurus,It is always such a pleasure to work with  youth who have an interest in outdoor adventure!!! Though I must admit, it was extremely HOT that day and I was given the duty of taking a sledge hammer to quarry rock. Crystals I exposed were then given to participants who couldn't break open their own. About half the children just weren't strong enough, though they still had a thrill trying!!! In the end, the temperature hovering around 100 deg got the best of me and I had to quit early to prevent heat stroke. 

20 hours ago, ClearLake said:

I must add to my list.

@ClearLake, If you or anyone else purchases one of these units, let me know how it performed for you.

• Enjoyed 1

50 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Pagurus,It is always such a pleasure to work with  youth who have an interest in outdoor adventure!!! Though I must admit, it was extremely HOT that day and I was given the duty of taking a sledge hammer to quarry rock. Crystals I exposed were then given to participants who couldn't break open their own. About half the children just weren't strong enough, though they still had a thrill trying!!! In the end, the temperature hovering around 100 deg got the best of me and I had to quit early to prevent heat stroke. 

Kudos, Mike.  You are a class act,  always have been, always will be. Happy Holidays

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"