Craziest flexi for me, found after work.

Newbie_1971

Hopped out after work to look around and found this flexicalymene. When I first spotted it, it was partially covered by dirt. First thought was a partial prone, but was hoping for it to be full. I  actually chuckled when I  picked it up to examine it. This poor guy was smashed flatter than a pancake. It is a full roller, but it's rolling days have been long gone! Hahaha! Have any of you guys found any like this?

20231212_171736.jpg

20231212_171745.jpg

20231212_171757.jpg

Edited by Newbie_1971
  • Enjoyed 5

I've found them flattened into pancakes in every which direction. Some beds will produce many like this but no nicely inflated rollers.

• I found this Informative 2

One of the trilobites on my bucket list  is a Eldredgeops that is that flat!

• Enjoyed 1

Cheers!

James

18 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

that is a pancake! I have a couple like that from Oklahoma, but not quite THAT flat....

Are you from Oklahoma? What kind of trilobites do you hunt/find?

36 minutes ago, trilobites_are_awesome said:

One of the trilobites on my bucket list  is a Eldredgeops that is that flat!

There are places in New York where you can find Eldredgeops and Greenops "Rollers" that are flat.

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

23 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

There are places in New York where you can find Eldredgeops and Greenops "Rollers" that are flat.

I was aware of them being found in new York. But I have not seen any from Ohio.

• Enjoyed 1

Cheers!

James

1 hour ago, Newbie_1971 said:

Are you from Oklahoma? What kind of trilobites do you hunt/find?

No, I'm from Texas and our Paleontological Society of Austin takes a field trip to Oklahoma to go trilo hunting. It's mostly Paciphacops and Kainops at one spot and Calymenes at another .

• Thank You 1

Someone ought to teach that Flexi about healthy postures, there's no way it doesn't have back pain from that. :ighappy:

• Enjoyed 3

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

That roller sure wouldn’t roll anywhere. Nice find! 

Edited by FossilNerd
  • Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

52 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

That roller should wouldn’t roll anywhere. Nice find! 

Thank you. Let me know if you ever make it back up this way to take a look around. I usually go on the weekends, and on the weekdays if at all possible.

• Enjoyed 1

15 hours ago, Darktooth said:

You also can find them in Pennsylvania. Both left and right Eldredgeops were found at the same Mahantango location.
image.thumb.jpeg.f1c4b5adc520a75b46ebe723fcbb50d3.jpegimage.jpeg.ee6c99609f1de0ccb040111f11f0aa25.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

15 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Someone ought to teach that Flexi about healthy postures, there's no way it doesn't have back pain from that. :ighappy:

And someone ought to teach you to visit your Fossil Forum friends  more often!:default_rofl: Haven't heard from you in awhile!

• Enjoyed 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

And someone ought to teach you to visit your Fossil Forum friends  more often!:default_rofl: Haven't heard from you in awhile!

A lot of it has had to do with uni obligations and a lot of other things which have been going on alongside it. I've been on a couple of field trips since I last posted a field report here, I just haven't had the time to post reports for them here. I'll probably make a field trip megapost for that.

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

10 hours ago, Newbie_1971 said:

Thank you. Let me know if you ever make it back up this way to take a look around. I usually go on the weekends, and on the weekdays if at all possible.

Will do. I’m sure I’ll be back up that way at some point or another. 👍

• Enjoyed 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)