My first trilobite find & prep!

Jaybot

Well, after a year of searching, I finally found my first trilobite!  They are relatively rare in my area (KC), so I’m pretty ecstatic.  Decided to take this prep nice and slow, here’s the bug how I found it:

IMG_6470.thumb.jpeg.d43da00f1032b0919d990ae90f02c44d.jpegIMG_6471.thumb.jpeg.23039fa449a3d0ad07175f5d620b171b.jpeg

Rock is thankfully not really sticky, was able to spend 40 min on this yesterday: 

IMG_6472.thumb.jpeg.ee6db762b47a6984b1a4f1a2b1c01b79.jpegIMG_6473.thumb.jpeg.84ff70d39e41e95c850b0d2afbac5f4e.jpegIMG_6474.thumb.jpeg.db24bc98afea9d7e58f3441b63e967c5.jpeg

As you can see in the last photo, I used my chisel tip to scribe excess material from above where the head might be.  I took it down as far as I was brave enough to do so, because I’m worried that the head might be curved upward.  I’m no trilobite expert, so any premature guesses on the species?  Update possibly coming tonight.  Have a great weekend everyone!

-Jay

• Enjoyed 5

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

Congrats on the find, Jay! Excellent start to your first prep! :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

4 hours ago, piranha said:

We can extrapolate the greater number of pygidial ribs: Ameura missouriensis happy0144.gif

Ah that's it.  Thank you!

4 hours ago, A.C. said:

Congratulations!

48 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Congrats.gif.e251944ef3ca1c395a0a0e8f4f3b729b.gif

19 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Congrats on the find, Jay! Excellent start to your first prep! :thumbsu:

I appreciate the kind comments everyone! 

Glad I've been practicing on brachs for the last few months, I've learned a lot.  Note to anyone first starting: practice on 'throwaway' fossils!!  Starting to feel like I got the hang of basic preparation.  Of course, helps when the matrix isn't sticky and going slow has improved my technique a lot.

Hoping the cephalon is there..

• Enjoyed 2

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

Well, got over 1 1/2 hours in.  Quickly realized that no cephalon is there; this is just the pygidium.  

IMG_6515.thumb.jpeg.9703aabbda3b9668c69690aa12ace035.jpeg

Just to be sure I removed a bunch of rock looking for a possibly disarticulated cephalon, but there is not.  No problem, I am still very happy with it, and thank you to @piranhafor the id!

Here it is before and after consolidation:

IMG_6516.thumb.jpeg.d5f3143fa0ec0b00506d44874537e713.jpegIMG_6518.thumb.jpeg.679fec178fd64f6ea17c5218113b7770.jpeg
IMG_6519.thumb.jpeg.7d3881703678d79368da2aca5d974e4b.jpeg

It does have a nice chocolate color.  Maybe someday I’ll find a complete example- the hunt is still on!

I’ll shape and smooth the rock on Monday and other final touches, and show the finished product.  I’ve found that rock smoothing can transform a fossil’s eye appeal.

Anyways.  Hope you all are enjoying this just as much as I am, have a great rest of your weekend!

-Jay

• Enjoyed 2

-Jay

55 minutes ago, Newbie_1971 said:

Congratulations! I am stoked for you!

Thank you, I appreciate it!

-Jay

As promised, here is the final update after downsizing the rock and smoothing.  Takes longer than I would initially think to rock smooth- took me 50 min to finish this mini project.  I smoothed the areas close to the fossil with my dremel 290, make sure to turn the power to the lowest setting.  For the rest of the rock, I used a rotary dremel with a round stone attachment. Be sure to wear a mask and other ppe, as the dust is harmful.

Anyways, here it is:

IMG_6523.thumb.jpeg.78ad1dbf43ad49945a4897d96ca333f8.jpegIMG_6524.thumb.jpeg.c4160b2047b6281f079a1287e272f375.jpegIMG_6525.thumb.jpeg.35f4bc7c829aa20295f7fa780453c9f9.jpeg

Even though I made a few mistakes, I’m pretty happy with it.  Rock smoothing makes a night and day difference in my opinion.  On to the next project.

If y’all noticed something I did wrong, or something I could try/improve on, please let me know.  Still a beginner at this prepping stuff

Hope you all enjoyed this thread, have a great rest of your week!

-Jay

• Enjoyed 4

-Jay

Sweet. Nice job cleaning up the pygidium. Do you know what formation and member(s) you are searching through? 

• Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Collector9658 said:

Sweet. Nice job cleaning up the pygidium. Do you know what formation and member(s) you are searching through? 

Pennsylvanian, northwest KC area, and I think that the layer I was hunting is the cement city fm.

And this specimen is in a medium to hard limestone.

Edited by Jaybot
  • I found this Informative 1

-Jay