Christmas present perhaps?

csilvers88

Ok yall. So there I was minding my own business looking for arrowheads and something catches my eye. Initially I thought it was a pestle until I got ahold of it. Then I thought maybe that's a big egg for breakfast. So while looking around for pottery and such a noticed something else strange . After I washed it off I could tell it was a skull with tissue surrounding it almost entirely and a sharp claw. I checked around for a bit then left . I'm headed home for the holidays and the skull of the dinosaur is riding shotgun! I've started calling him Jac, like Jack without the k.  What do I do now and who do I contact? I'm the only one who knows where it is so that's a plus. On one side of the head you can see teeth. And I have no idea what that horn looking thing is. I found way further down . 

20231225_012342.jpg

20231225_010019.jpg

20231224_231433.jpg

I'm sorry to play the role of grinch here, but I feel it necessary.  These are not fossils. Only suggestive looking rocks. 

• I Agree 11

its cool.  I expected someone too. However, fossils are rocks right ?... what you are not seeing is the rest of the skeleton tucked nice and tight inside the river bank or the broken spear point I may have found lodge against a curved bone. Nonetheless, my goal is to figure out who to contact 

There is nothing in these rocks to suggest the proper morphology, texture, or bilateral symmetry required to diagnose these as having biogenic origin. There are no teeth or claws. This is a case of pareidolia. 

You can contact your local university earth sciences department or natural history museum, but I would wager they would say the same. 

• I Agree 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

35 minutes ago, csilvers88 said:

fossils are rocks right ?

This is correct in a way. The two terms are not equal though. A fossil is rock that forms as a biological being is replaced. That part requires study of the evidence. I agree that you should visit a museum or university to get a firsthand look at more evidence, and perhaps consult those who study it. 

• I found this Informative 1

Merry Christmas!  Unfortunately, I agree that this is not the present you think it is.  There is some information about eggs in this post that may help you see that what you have is not an egg:

Do some research and get back out there!  :)

• I found this Informative 2

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

7 hours ago, csilvers88 said:

what you are not seeing is the rest of the skeleton tucked nice and tight inside the river bank or the broken spear point I may have found lodge against a curved bone

Unfortunately I’m with the others. These are just stones no sign of any biological origins. So not fossils. You also mention it’s a dinosaur skull but in your second post you mention a spear point nestled in the supposed “fossil” even though dinosaurs and men are separated by millions of years…. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

You should be aware that dinosaurs died off about 64 million years before anything that could throw a spear at one existed. Genus Homo and dinosuars did not coexist.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!