Fossil hunting trip to Matlock, Derbyshire, UK

Brachioman

The Brachiopod here is Gigantoproductus giganteus - well named, as it is the largest species in my extensive collection. The coin is about 2cm. in diameter. The age of this fossil is Lower Carboniferous ( Mississippian).

100_0561.JPG

• Enjoyed 7

Hi Franz - Yes, of course. The posterior side is slightly eroded but you can see some of the positive muscle scar impressions.  Hope you like this.

100_0562.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

These Brachiopods are fairly common in Derbyshire but are often found in fragments. However this specimen had eroded from the limestone and was found in the Tarmac Quarry in Matlock Bath. This genus is quite rare in other world localities, so I thought it was worth posting, Glad you liked it.  Regards, Clive.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Hello, Clive, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

I am rather a brachiopod fanatic myself, so I was delighted to see this lovely specimen. :brach2::b_love1:

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hello - Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased to know that you like Brachiopods, like myself, and I understand that you have a very nice Brachiopod collection. I will, of course, be following your posts on TFF from now on to learn new things. Very best wishes, Clive. 

• Enjoyed 1

39 minutes ago, Brachioman said:

Hello - Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased to know that you like Brachiopods, like myself, and I understand that you have a very nice Brachiopod collection. I will, of course, be following your posts on TFF from now on to learn new things. Very best wishes, Clive. 

I am sure I will learn far more from you than I could possibly teach you. Teach.gif.7db13853f682ec90545a8e83420fe5ff.gif

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hi @Brachioman.  I recall seeing some of these huge brachiopods in some landscaping rock in a fountain at Castle Hill in Dudley, UK back in the 1990s.  Unfortunately they were in a very public place with lots of people around, and in a large rock right in the middle of the fountain surrounded by water, so snagging one or two was out of the question.  It's a good thing that I had already found a diversity of Silurian brachiopods in the talus at Wren's Nest, so I was not too disappointed to miss out on the Gigantoproductus.

Don

That is an great find! Thanks for sharing this!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.