Can anyone confirm the authenticity of this Oreodont skull?

fossil_fun

Not the usual preservation that I have seen. Where is it from?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Do you have any more views of it?

It almost appears like it has a greenish tinge to it?

I'll look at it closer when I get home 

( I'm at work on my cell phone)

I have a couple oreodont skulls with similar preservation. They tend to be highly fragmented and often has been treated with super glue and an accelerant giving it a weirder appearance. From what I understand they are surface finds instead of in nodules I used to have the GPS coordinates where they were found and they were all from relatively close together. Some place in South Dakota if I remember correctly. The bones themselves were off colored and where the accelerant was used it gave them a greenish tinge... The skull itself does appear to be a partial oreodont 

Edited by Randyw
Spelling
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Can anyone confirm the authenticity of this Oreodont skull?

looks real for me. We had some "brown" ones like yours, got them with "Brule Member". But have never been there...

Yours seems to be a nice one with some loss at the back of the head

Ok. I’ve looked at it on my bigger screen and it still looks real to me. The extra bones are nice too

3 hours ago, rocket said:

We had some "brown" ones

I even have a dark grey one in my to be prepped pile…

• Enjoyed 1

We can't discuss price here on TFF, but with Oreodont skulls, price versus what you are getting determines if it is a decent deal.  The skull looks real, but is not complete and there are missing teeth, and you need better pictures from all angles to see what is missing.  Skull size, species, completeness, quality of bone/teeth, color, preparation, amount of restoration etc. all factor in. This piece would look much better with better prep and some restoration, but that all adds to the price. The skull looks lighter on top versus the jaw.  Typically, exposed skull portions get bleached a lighter color by the sun.  So it looks like the top of this skull was exposed, and sun bleached, versus it being a composite, but better pictures are needed.  I would be concerned about how stable the matrix is.  You don't want a piece where small pieces keep falling/breaking off of the matrix base.  Below is a picture of a high quality, well prepped Oreodont skull for comparison.

OreodontSkull1.jpg.9e327776be61005092a570c59ba699db.jpg

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png