Mammuthus primigenius: authentic tusk fragment?

mr.rod

Hello dear collectors & experts,

I have purchased two beautiful new Mammuthus primigenius fossils, which I will describe in two separate topics.

Here comes my very cool and huge fragment of a tusk.

Key figures as by seller

• 39cm (15") long, circumference 47cm (18.5")
  • 5.1kg (11.2lb)
  • 20,000-50,000 years old
  • North Sea, Netherlands

I very much like it and would love to get your expertise about

1. Authenticity
  2. More precise age estimate
  3. Your quality rating. Any restoration done?

Thanks a lot.

2133-2-scaled.jpg

2133-3-scaled.jpg

2133-4-scaled.jpg

2133-5-scaled.jpg

2133-6-scaled.jpg

2133-7-scaled.jpg

2133-8-scaled.jpg

Edited by mr.rod
forgot conversion to inches and pounds, age estimate

THANKS a lot for your comments.

I also love it, and am happy I can own a real piece of ancient ivory. Can anyone tell if it's authentic?

The artifact itself as well as the prep look like high quality to me.

Also, 20,000-50,000 years old is quite imprecise. Can anyone tell this more to the point?

Edited by mr.rod
thanks

Sorry, I can't help with authenticy, but time estimate 20,000-50,000 seems correct.

Remember that formation might have gathered fossils for long time and when talking about 10,000 years scale its actually very accurate. Many material have estimates of millions or tens of millions years.

Lab tests would be needed to change estimate, but it would make little difference.

• Thank You 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Does it have a thick coating of clear lacquer or consolidant? It appears so glossy. Is it?

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

@FranzBernhard thanks for asking. I cannot tell as I have ordered them yesterday, thus I only have these photos, so far.

I can upload additional photos as soon as I get the fossil, does that help?

• Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, mr.rod said:

I can upload additional photos as soon as I get the fossil, does that help?

Sure. And your personal inspection of the specimen ;).

From the existing pics, I am expecting a rather thick coating. Its all for protecting the specimen, of course. Just don´t be disappointed - I don´t see any "natural" surface on the pics.

Franz Berhard

• I Agree 2

As it was found in salt water, I also assume the thick lacquer is to even better protect the fossil from air/oxygen and humidity.

Edited by mr.rod
typo
  • I Agree 1

On 12/28/2023 at 12:52 AM, mr.rod said:

2133-4-scaled.jpg

2133-5-scaled.jpg

As far as I understand the forum rules, I cannot post a link to a commercial website which has very similar items.

My only aim is to check on authenticity - if theirs are authentic, so should be mine.

But I guess it's allowed to post one of their photos, is it? If not, admins please delete this reply.

Those are prepped in a very similar way, and the results look very similar too. Also from the North Sea like mine.

Mine above for comparison.

What do you think?

TuskofaWoollyMammoth3.thumb.JPG.ab09bbe55e9c282db5509c881e769192.JPG

Edited by mr.rod

The photo of the "the size of it" is a bit deceiving despite the dimensions given, imo.  A photo with a ruler would be more helpful were I the buyer. 

The diameter of the base is close to 6 inches/15 cm and the image makes it appear more like 12 inches/30 cm. Just saying...it looks bigger than it is by twice in that image.

Edited by SPrice
  • I Agree 2

Awesome tusk. I actually know the site and owners. They are reliable. Tusk part is real. Just maybe a little bit polished and an obvious protection layer which is heavily needed for Dutch North sea fossils/tusks. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:23 AM, SPrice said:

The photo of the "the size of it" is a bit deceiving despite the dimensions given, imo.  A photo with a ruler would be more helpful were I the buyer. 

Any pic of someone holding a fossil in front of themselves has this same illusion. Any time I see a seller do that I remind myself to look for the measurements to see the actual size.

Posted (edited)

My way to get some feeling of real size is simple: I use my custom PowerPoint/LibreOffice slide template in the size of my huge TV and place the photo in it with real measures. And whatever it looks on the photo on the website, I can tell it still looks huge in 1:1 scale on TV. Or you try to find a similarly sized item in your home, like a 5 Liter water bottle and compare.

Edited by mr.rod

Nothing will ever be worth the size information in cm or inches ! At least we’re sure we’re not mistaken...

Coco

• I Agree 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Posted (edited)

To see the real size and minimize perspective distortion, on the bubble wrap photo I have moved back and used a tele lens.

As promised a video of this beauty. I feel it looks veeery authentic and I really love it. Any thoughts on this?

PXL_20240105_225332048.PORTRAIT.nometa.jpg

PXL_20240105_225958732.RAW-01.COVER.nometa.jpg

Edited by mr.rod
  • Enjoyed 1

I’ve never wanted another person’s fossil before. 

This is a new feeling. Might take time to process. 

It’s stunning! I watched every second of that video as closely as I could. Captivating. 

The clear coat must be a dip technique or something. Way to perfect and even. Unless they just sprayed loads of thin coats. Might be a type of epoxy or something hard enough to buff?? It’s absolutely beautifully done whatever it is. Especially on such a fragile surface!!

Jp

• Enjoyed 2

9 hours ago, Balance said:

I’ve never wanted another person’s fossil before. 

This is a new feeling. Might take time to process. 

It’s stunning! I watched every second of that video as closely as I could. Captivating. 

The clear coat must be a dip technique or something. Way to perfect and even. Unless they just sprayed loads of thin coats. Might be a type of epoxy or something hard enough to buff?? It’s absolutely beautifully done whatever it is. Especially on such a fragile surface!!

Jp

Paraloid B72 with a mix of aceton 10% maybe?

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1