First go prepping a Pulalius vulgaris

Neanderthal Shaman

Finally got my compressor and air scribe set up, and am now getting to work on the concretions I gathered over the summer and fall. Just to see if I could do it, I took a crack at the smallest one I knew had a crab in it, at barely more than 3 cm wide. My friend lent me a scribe with a smaller bit than the one I bought 3 months ago, and it handled itself pretty well here. Did ding the carapace a handfull of times, but pleased with the outcome of this first crab venture.

20231226_154109.jpg.a34c92e101a10153bc55e7f391f0a3f3.jpg

20231227_185621.thumb.jpg.4d48e2416b26a592c971d7bcf08f0199.jpg

20231227_185632.thumb.jpg.ac549b14c0d625a6bedfdaebd2531c44.jpg

20231227_185003.jpg

20231227_185844.jpg

Screenshot_20231227_192525_Photos.jpg

:Sweating: Prepping one this small was stressfull, so I'm looking forward to working on larger ones that don't demand as much precision.

Edited by Neanderthal Shaman
  • Enjoyed 11

• Neanderthal Shaman changed the title to First go prepping a Pulalius vulgaris
8 hours ago, Neanderthal Shaman said:

Did ding the carapace a handfull of times, but pleased with the outcome of this first crab venture.

:Sweating: Prepping one this small was stressfull, so I'm looking forward to working on larger ones that don't demand as much precision.

Looking great! The one thing I could suggest (and this would be especially useful for precision work on tiny fossils) would be to do your fossil prep with the aid of light and magnification. We often use binocular microscopes at the FLMNH when doing detailed prep work. For your purposes even a small lighted magnifier would likely make things a whole lot more fun and comfortable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=magnifier+lamp&tbm=shop

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 2

4 hours ago, digit said:

Looking great! The one thing I could suggest (and this would be especially useful for precision work on tiny fossils) would be to do your fossil prep with the aid of light and magnification. We often use binocular microscopes at the FLMNH when doing detailed prep work. For your purposes even a small lighted magnifier would likely make things a whole lot more fun and comfortable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=magnifier+lamp&tbm=shop

Cheers.

-Ken

Yes, I think that's next on my list!

2 hours ago, Neanderthal Shaman said:

Yes, I think that's next on my list!

Cheaper than an air scribe and compressor. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

I also look like I’m ready for battle in my fossil prepping ppe:IMG_6649.thumb.jpeg.3ce30afaccc8e960ac0e68440a67a49b.jpeg

(eyes blacked out for privacy reasons :)

Edited by Jaybot

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

16 hours ago, Randyw said:

This is starting to look like a cheap Star Wars knockoff.

:default_rofl:

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne