Unusual Brachiopods from the Middle Permian.

Brachioman

This unusual Brachiopod is Leptodus nobilis. During the Permian there were many examples of 'experimental' Brachiopod  genera. This genus, in life, had a greatly reduced valve which exposed the brachidium which supported the lophophore, and so we see the inner workings of this animal. In the picture are two specimens, each about 6cm. X 3cm. They are from the Lower Kamiyase Formation, Kesen-numa City, Honshu, Japan. Quite rare fossils, I think.

100_0565.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7

Very nice again!

And lately, some special permian brachiopods!

Several years ago, I have asked, if someone has Richthofenia* and the like - negative! Do you have ;)?

@Tidgy's Dad (he is our brachiopod expert!)

*Brachiopods pretending to be corals. Like bivalves (rudists) pretending to be corals during the upper Cretaceous.

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

Hi Franz - Nice to hear that you like Brachiopods.  Yes, I have a number of Richthofenioidea in my collection of over 3000 Brachiopod species - Here are a couple. On the left is Hercosia sp. and on the right is Cyclacantharia kingorum.  The former of these two has a high bladed median septum which is quite characteristic. They are both from the Wordian (Upper Permian) of the Glass Mountains in Texas, USA, and are rather fragile.  Coraliform Brachiopods are always interesting as they are aberrant forms of the Permian Productida like Leptodus. 

100_0569.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Thanks so much! These things indeed exist ;)!

Are these two silicified?

How did you get them?

3000 species??? @Tidgy's Dad will be :envy:, he as "only" several 100 species ;).

Thanks again!
Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Yes, these Brachs are silicified and are extracted from the parent rock by acid etching. I got them by exchanging specimens with other collectors in the USA - the Brachiopods I have from Derbyshire are in demand because many local species are unobtainable in the States.  I have a large collection because I have been collecting Brachiopods for over 70 years. I used to work at the Natural History Museum (British Museum) in London, and their collections are enormous. They gave me a good grounding in Brachiopod taxonomy and identification. Regards, Clive.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

On 12/28/2023 at 7:28 PM, FranzBernhard said:

3000 species??? @Tidgy's Dad will be :envy:, he as "only" several 100 species ;)

Indeed. :sick:

I am sick with jealousy.

3,000 species is quite astounding.Boggle.gif.aaa4b36dd2f236b66676a0d7390223b7.gif

Clive, thank you very much for sharing these with us.

Always nice to see some of the aberrant Permian forms.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png