Distinguishing Borealosuchus and Brachychampsa teeth

Othniel C. Marsh

Is there actually any means of distinguishing Brachychampsa and Borealosuchus teeth, particularly those from the Hell Creek Formation? Insofar as I can see Brachychampsa teeth tend to more globular than those of Borealosuchus, but I have noticed that some Brachychampsa teeth, particularly those closer to the back of the jaw, can be quite elongate, so is there an identifying feature besides shape?

According to Bennett (2012), anterior teeth are indistinguishable. Brachychampsa posterior teeth are bulbous and unlike those of Borealosuchus.

Bennett, GE. (2012) Community structure and paleoecology of crocodyliforms from the upper Hell Creek Formation (Maastrichtian), eastern Montana, based on shed teeth. Jeffersoniana. 2012;28:1–15.

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

• 4 weeks later...