What did you buy today?

Darktooth

I was inspired to start this thread because of a similar thread which is on the Fly Fishing Forum. This is the only other forum that I belong to. I thought it would be fun to see what fossil related items we purchase over time. It can be anything related to our fine hobby. This can include fossils, tools, books, clothing, stickers/decals, toys, etc. I will start this off with today's purchase. I woke up early and headed to my local flea market. I usually go looking for fishing gear, but sometimes I will buy other items that catch my eye. Today I came across some chisels that I thought would be good for fossil hunting. The first chisel is a wide blade masonry chisel that tapers down very narrow. Perfect for splitting shale. I know this because I used it this morning and worked great!

The next to are narrow blades that also taper down to a narrow edge. They need to be sharpened and they both have offset handles. I am not sure what their original purpose is but I think they might be useful in getting a split started in a ledge. The last chisel is one I bought but a friend that has gotten started hunting for Herkimer Diamonds. Last year he found the biggest Herkimer Diamonds that have ever been recorded. This chisel is meant for heavy duty destruction of super hard rock which will be perfect for the hard dolomite that Herkimers are found in. So, what did YOU buy today?

20231231_145307.jpg

20231231_145312.jpg

20231231_145345.jpg

20231231_145400.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Wow, I've never seen bent chisels like those... I can see them coming in handy in some places.

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Wow, I've never seen bent chisels like those... I can see them coming in handy in some places.

The seller wasn't sure what their original purpose is but I figured they would be useful for certain situations. I paid $15 for all 4. Not bad for old school steel. The good kind. Not the snarge that is produced today.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 2:27 PM, Darktooth said:

The last chisel is one I bought but a friend that has gotten started hunting for Herkimer Diamonds. Last year he found the biggest Herkimer Diamonds that have ever been recorded. This chisel is meant for heavy duty destruction of super hard rock which will be perfect for the hard dolomite that Herkimers are found in

That’s the chisel I need!!!!

• I found this Informative 1

looks like the goooooooooooooooooooood old quality

50 years of use and, they will work the next 50!

• I Agree 1

On 1/10/2024 at 10:34 PM, Baking Geologist said:

That’s the chisel I need!!!!

Which chisel is the one you need? I can keep an eye out for more. I paid $15 for all 4, so not that much if I find another I will send to you for free. I go to my local market often.

• I Agree 1

On 1/11/2024 at 7:01 AM, rocket said:

looks like the goooooooooooooooooooood old quality

50 years of use and, they will work the next 50!

Darn right!

On 1/12/2024 at 10:05 AM, Darktooth said:

Which chisel is the one you need? I can keep an eye out for more. I paid $15 for all 4, so not that much if I find another I will send to you for free. I go to my local market often.

The one for Dolostone!  I’m dealing with it right now.  

IMG_5873.thumb.jpeg.03ab6cee409dff7524150fb89c42d4b8.jpeg

this stuff is hard to work with!

On 1/12/2024 at 3:25 PM, Baking Geologist said:

The one for Dolostone!  I’m dealing with it right now.

IMG_5873.thumb.jpeg.03ab6cee409dff7524150fb89c42d4b8.jpeg

this stuff is hard to work with!

Ok I will look around, probably will go on Sunday.

• Thank You 1

I never skimp on boots. A fossil dig begins for me from the ground up. 

These are not cheap, but they should last me a few years of rugged wear. Waterproof, insulated, puncture-proof, shock resistant, safety certified for quarry and construction sites, and just a nice overall boot. Comfy, too.

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1788.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 hours ago, Kane said:

I never skimp on boots. A fossil dig begins for me from the ground up. 

These are not cheap, but they should last me a few years of rugged wear. Waterproof, insulated, puncture-proof, shock resistant, safety certified for quarry and construction sites, and just a nice overall boot. Comfy, too.

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1788.jpeg

Those boots look well put together! But I don't know how they will stand up to the punishment you're going to put them through!:ighappy:

• Enjoyed 1