Shaun-DFW Fossils

I had my best hunt of the year Saturday, it was incredible. I guess you could say I was…petrified. Sadly, my phone died after getting stuck in a reboot loop (thanks iPhone 10) so it’s now extinct. Oh and I finally found a dinosaur! It’s on top of an ammonite. 🤣
25 complete ammonites a few partials! I also found a 21-inch long chunk of pet wood and a colorful smaller chunk. I then found 11 ammonites today to start the new year right. My back is still sore and feet tingling after treading through creeks where shallower areas were actually frozen..lol! Tarrant and Dallas County locations. 2 were in partially exposed concretions. One of those is placenticeras or engonoceras?

sorry about the blurry pic, I’m using another old phone I have that has a camera that only works when it’s on 2x, so I’m having to adjust to taking pics with it. 

IMG_0001.jpeg

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0003.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_0006.jpeg

IMG_0007.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

IMG_0010.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_0011.jpeg

Edited by Shaun-DFW Fossils
  • Enjoyed 14

I appreciate the wisdom on this site. I had the exact same experience as someone else with my coalified wood, it gradually cracked into a bunch of pieces over the period of a week. I put it back in the water and it pops like Rice Krispies. I found a bigger chunk and this time I immediately put it back in water until I can figure out what I might be able to spray or coat it with in order to preserve it. Any ideas?

IMG_0023.jpeg

IMG_0024.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0022.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

I’ll group today’s nearby hunt with Saturdays. Another bunch of nice ammos that should clean up quite well. Dallas County this morning. Conlinoceras tarrantense.

IMG_0026.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

• Enjoyed 10

Just unbelievable the luck your having,  your feet are braver than mine!  Nice pet wood peices too, use Paraloid to stabilize the coalified wood, get at Home Depot, just make really sure it's completely dry before applying it.

• Thank You 1

25 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Just unbelievable the luck your having,  your feet are braver than mine!  Nice pet wood peices too, use Paraloid to stabilize the coalified wood, get at Home Depot, just make really sure it's completely dry before applying it.

Thank you, very helpful info! I will do this tomorrow. I think the snap, crackle & pop was worth the drying out and resubmerging. It sounded like a prehistoric fire. 😂

• Enjoyed 1

Amazing finds!:ammonite01:

Edited by Danielb
  • Thank You 1