Texas Echies - A Few More! Plus 2 Bucket List Finds!!

JamieLynn

I really thought I had done a post on my latest finds - but apparently I have not! So here are my "new" additions to the All the Echies of Texas collection! Happily, one is a bucket list find - a Lower Cretaceous Glen Rose formation Tetragramma tenerum.  I had two Tetragrammas on my echinoid bucket list and this one is now in my collection! Still looking for that T. taffi..... EDIT: See below because I think I just realized I DID find my T. taffi!!!!!! 

Tetragramma tenerum  Comal County

KTXECH412EchinoidTetragrammatenerumTractorSupplyGR.thumb.jpg.433c752cdbc50ffaf9532cf4620c9931.jpg

EchinoidTetragrammatenerumTractorSupplyGRKTXECH412(1).thumb.jpg.a1707fd6cfecdbd96343ff3ec98a7eb8.jpg

A find from up North Texas, in Fort Worth, was this one which I had THOUGHT was a  Tetragramma streeruwitzi because I THOUGHT the formation I found it in was Duck Creek from the Washita formation and now, just now, going back to check the map and location, I realized I was in the Goodland Formation which is Frederickburg and NOT Washita, so what I had thought was a T. streeruwitzi....is most likely actually a Tetragramma taffi!!!! MY OTHER BUCKET LIST TETRA!!  Now I am for sure going to get it cleaned up! I was planning on it, but just hadn't gotten around to it...so to the prepper you will go my little friend! 

KTXECH321EchinoidTetragrammastreeruwitziCheddarsFW(1).thumb.JPG.fb6c6642812a25e6e1ca8cd26723f498.JPG

And back in Central Texas, in the Comanche Peak formation - a little bit busted up Globator parryi, but you can at least see the "cheerio" rings on the test 

KTXECH402EchinoidGlobatorparryiMeridianComPk.thumb.jpg.2bdfacf882e6cdacdd299911174ae88f.jpg

And while not a new one to my collection, at least a little bit better one than my first - a Goniopygus whitneyi from the Upper Glen Rose formation

KTXECH406EchinoidGoniopyguswhitneyiFlandersGR(1).thumb.jpg.00aaea0f09a427fc5fecddf670cfddc2.jpg

So the total list is: 

Macraster - texanus, elegens and washitaensis

Heteraster - mexicanus, obliquetus and texanus

Phymosoma texanum

Goniopygus - zitelli, whitneyi and sp.

Leptosalenia - mexicana, volana and texana and possible sp.

Pliotoxaster - whitei and comanchei

Hyposalenia phillipsae

Pygopyrina hancockensis

Holaster simplex

Tetragramma  texanum, tenerum and taffi!! 

Loriolia - rosana and possibly whitei (if that is considered a viable species)

Polydiadema travisensis

Anorthopygus texanus

Heterosalenia sp.

Paraorthopsis comalensis

Coenholectypus - planatus and ovatus

Pseudodiadema aguilera

Plagiochasma texanum

Goniophorus scotti

Hemiaster - calvini and bexari

Washitaster sp.

Diplodetus americanus

Echinothurid sp. plates

Balanocidarid spines

Globator whitneyi and parryi

Pedinopsis engerrandi

Not Cretaceous

Eocene Protoscutella mississippiensis

Pennsylvanian Archeocidaris plates and spines

Pronechinus  plates and spines

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 15

Some beautiful echinoids @JamieLynn. Seems that you have quite the collection.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

You know I always enjoy seeing Texas Echies! Congrats on the bucket list finds and thanks for sharing! :)

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Wonderful additions, Jamie!  Can't wait until you get the Tetragramma cleaned up.

I have not heard of Globator parryi coming from anywhere below the Georgetown Formation equivalent strata.  That one might need a review of all data.... :zzzzscratchchin: :)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@JohnJ I was surprised too, but I was specifically looking in Com Peak places for that T. taffi! hahahha!! I found online from Geological Enterprises on online auction site. a G. parryi posted as found in Comanche Peak, so figured I wasn't the only one.....

• Enjoyed 1

I would review other candidates closely before following a single reference that is so far out of sync geologically.  ;)

Neat little echinoids and quite a nice list of genera you've accumulated. BTW I thoroughly enjoyed taking a look at your website. The hard work you put into it shows. :Smiling:

• Thank You 1

12 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

@JohnJ In the HGMS book, G. parryi is listed as being found in the Fredericksburg, so that is why I ID'd as such, in addition to the online source. 

I noticed that after my previous comment.  It would be interesting to see diagnostic specimens from below the Washita Group.  Regardless of species, congratulations on a very rare find for the Comanche Peak formation!

Be sure to update us on the Tetragramma, too.   :fistbump:

• Enjoyed 2

Wow, this is like Super Th'urchin Thursday. 

A big congrats on your Tetra finds! 

• Enjoyed 1