Abonanni

Found these 2 matching partial bones in the same location. I’m confident they are bones,  but unsure of their origin.

This site is known for Pleistocene fossils. 

Savannah, GA. Savannah River.  Shark Tooth Island.

IMG_3196.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3201.jpeg

IMG_3202.jpeg

IMG_3203.jpeg

It's bone. But it is almost impossible to get a good or even close ID with just fragments of bone.

• I Agree 3

Cheers!

James

I could guess that the grooves look like the guides for tendons near a limb joint, but if I knew I would be able to give more exact terminology than that. :Confused05:

Thanks. I have actually been able to ID a lot of my bone findings simply by comparing it to photos from known animals from this area/time period. This one I can’t seem to pinpoint though. I have a nice collection of woolly mammoth, mastodon, and ground sloth bones found in this same spot,  but those don’t seem to match up to the patterns of this bone. Im really thinking it’s a portion of an ankle bone of a large mammal simply by the way the articulation points are. I was just hoping someone might be able to recognize the bone pattern. 

10 hours ago, trilobites_are_awesome said:

It's bone. But it is almost impossible to get a good or even close ID with just fragments of bone.

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I could guess that the grooves look like the guides for tendons near a limb joint, but if I knew I would be able to give more exact terminology than that. :Confused05:

I agree. I’m really thinking it is a portion of an ankle bone also due to the way the articulation points are. I’ve researched all the known animals of this time period/location and nothing is matching up. It’s driving me crazy! 

38 minutes ago, Abonanni said:

. I’m really thinking it is a portion of an ankle bone also due to the way the articulation points are.

Have you considered a crocodilian style of articulation? Most of the larger examples would probably be older, but they are a little different. 

These pieces are too heavily worn from almost all angles for me to be confident in any sort of ID.  I don't really get a crocodilian 'feel' from either piece, but that's just a gut reaction, so take it with a grain of salt.

To me, they seem like mammal, but again, I don't personally see enough to make an ID.