I recently bought some Baltic amber and I was wondering if it is real . Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

33044F96-7CE7-431C-8D28-9E202BDC1A69.jpeg.827d459420fc2d0f37c7dcf4fdb7d31b.jpeg

60E110CB-67A7-4C67-9245-037EA290F1C4.jpeg

Photos are too blurry to discern.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Telling if this is real will take more then blurry pictures. Please send clearer pics. Even then there are other tests needed to determine. Unfortunately I don't remember them, because amber is not something I am experienced with. Some who know will see this and respond. Just have some patience.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

On 1/6/2024 at 10:35 AM, Darktooth said:

Telling if this is real will take more then blurry pictures. Please send clearer pics. Even then there are other tests needed to determine. Unfortunately I don't remember them, because amber is not something I am experienced with. Some who know will see this and respond. Just have some patience.

Well, you've asked the right guy.

From the book 'Fossils: Inside Out' by Thomas Wiewandt, published by Wild Horizons Publishing Inc in Canada in 2021, on page 170:

Friction Test

"Rubbing amber or copal in your hands will produce heat and smell like tree resin, not plastic. Vigorous rubbing on cloth for 20-60 seconds will generate an electrical charge in amber that attracts hair or dust particles. Copal gets sticky and won't produce a charge."

Buoyancy

"Genuine amber (and copal) will float in a mixture of 1/4 cup salt dissolved in 2 cups of warm water - most fakes will sink." Obviously this will only be helpful if you take the amber out of the metal thing.

Taste

"Wash a piece of amber in soapy water and taste it - most fakes have a plastic or chemical taste, and amber has none."

There are some more tests in the book if you want them.

Edited by Psittacosaur9
typo
  • I found this Informative 4