? Dinosaur bone, if so, what kind?

Ancient1

Hi, several years ago, I was hiking a canyon about 25 miles south of Moab in a broad canyon at the base of Moenkopi, Chinle (Triassic), Wingate, and a bit of Kayenta (Jurassic). I found this bone in an ephemeral stream that ran through the canyon and have been curious. Anybody have ideas?  It is unlikely petrified wood which is extremely prevalent in the area. 

IMG_6344.jpg

IMG_6345.jpg

IMG_6346.jpg

IMG_6347.jpg

A couple of years ago I found a Bobcat roadkill carcass and collected it from the side of the road.  I thought this would be a neat fur if I took it to a taxidermy shop to skin and prep the fur.  The first proprietor of the first shop I called saved me a world of legal issues by my actions. He asked about my license, permit and tag regarding the collection of the bobcat carcass.  Please enlighten me I responded.  He then said don't tell me anything else, I don't want to know your name or anything else about this event. My free advice is to get rid of the carcass as quickly as you can and tell no one about it. State and Federal laws are in effect and will be enforced immediately and luckily you called me instead of another taxidermist who would probably report you right after the phone call.  

I hung up, drove out of town into the west desert and relieved myself from possession of the bobcat carcass and drove back home. My ignorance of the law would not have saved my bacon but a decent gentleman taxidermist did and I thanked him as I hung up on the call.

You should be aware of the laws regarding your find. I'm paying it forward right here right now for the kind act the taxidermist gifted me with.

Perhaps deleting the post would be a good start  especially if someone ID's this as an authentic Dinosaur bone. 

Thank you for your answer. Now I have an even dumber question as I am new to posting. How do I delete this post? 

14 minutes ago, Ancient1 said:

Thank you for your answer. Now I have an even dumber question as I am new to posting. How do I delete this post? 

As others have already replied to it, the topic provides other members in future with educational value should they encounter something similar.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Ancient1 said:

Relax -- no one is coming to get you. If you found this in a state or national park you should have left it alone. Collecting is not allowed there. Now you know better. If it was BLM land you can contact them and ask about regulations in that part of the state. If you were on private land with permission you can collect all you want. No one is coming to get you for picking up a 6" bone fragment. 

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Yes, before we freak out about collecting legality here, it’s important to note that amateur discoveries are vital to paleontological research. It’s not legal to collect it for yourself and DEFINITELY don’t sell it, but if it were scientifically important, it might’ve been destroyed if it wasn’t for someone like you picking it up. At the time, you should’ve either left it or turned it in to park authorities if possible, but it’s not the end of the world. Just remember to be aware of collecting rules.

edit: forgot to say that does looks like bone :) 

Edited by patelinho7

Not being a dino boneID expert, novice or even a rookie...I would guess it looks like a dried baked potato . And no my intent is not to freak out or scare the OP into nightmares or worse. I got a "stay out of jail" pass free from a taxidermist who enlightened an ignorant soul  (me ) about collecting a dead "fur bearing" animal from the side of the road. 

I'm passing on the "stay out of jail" pass.  We have museum curators and paleontologists on this forum who are now aware of this event. nuff said on that.

If you want to read about Mr Ehlers' fossil mistake...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jul/09/dinosaur-footprint-theft-man-accused-utah-mistake

Edited by SPrice
typos
  • Enjoyed 1

I would think the statue of limitations has run out.    It does look like bone  whose or what i  could  not say.  There are experts who may recognize some feature in it.

• I Agree 1