Mosasaur or Theropod Tooth - Monmouth Co., NJ

Masonk

Hi All,

I found this tooth sifting in one of the Cretaceous brooks in Monmouth Co., NJ. during a trip around November last year

I wasn't sure what it was at first (initially thought talon possibly from something more recent), however after showing photos to a few local folk more familiar/knowledgeable with the fossils in this area (Thanks @frankh8147!), the consensus was, it's a very compressed Mosasaur tooth. Makes sense as Mosasaur teeth can be found here on occasion, and this tooth has several common features. 

However, I've had a couple individuals suggest theropod tooth when I initially shared it in a couple groups back in November. This was based on the compression of the root.

I'm still leaning towards Mosasaur, but recently a different person brought up the theropod theory, so I thought why not throw it up here for opinion. 

Multiple photos, some redundant (have done a couple "photo shoots" with this one lol). If photos of any specific area would be beneficial, please  let me know.

Thanks in advance for your feedback/opinions! Truly appreciate the help. 

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

IMG_5756.PNG

IMG_6610.PNG

IMG_6611.PNG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

Eric - @philly_fossil_collector on Instagram

I’m not 100% convinced this is a tooth. The base looks very tooth like, but the rest doesn’t really look like mosasaur or theropod tooth. 

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

Irrespective of the presence of enamel, it’s clearly biological, with a form with tooth or claw

• I Agree 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

That is very interesting looking piece.

Base looks like what I would expect from tooth. It also seem to have faint ridges or bumps on its sides. Inside curvature looks that it could have an cutting edge wondering bit to side.

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Not sure this one can be definitively IDed. I agree that it is most likely a tooth. The lack of enamel could easily be due to its taphonomic maturity. And although I think mosasaur pterygoid teeth can be quite compressed, this might be too compressed for that. Theropod is a possibility, but I know of know way to verify that considering the condition this one is in.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Irrespective of the presence of enamel, it’s clearly biological, with a form with tooth or claw

Internal mold of a crab claw perhaps?

• I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Internal mold of a crab claw perhaps?

I think the view of the base rules that out: it appears to show structure one wouldn't expect from a steinkern.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Thank you to everyone for the input! It's complicated, for sure.

I reached out to the Natural History Curator @ the NJ State Museum. He also wasn't able to say definitively what it is based on the photos.

He did offer to take a look at it in person. Will update after we link up. 

• Enjoyed 2

9 hours ago, Carl said:

Not sure this one can be definitively IDed. I agree that it is most likely a tooth. The lack of enamel could easily be due to its taphonomic maturity. And although I think mosasaur pterygoid teeth can be quite compressed, this might be too compressed for that. Theropod is a possibility, but I know of know way to verify that considering the condition this one is in.

Thanks, Carl. Sounds like this may remain a mystery due to degradation, even after an in person look. I'm content with that, though. Will be a cool mystery. 

• Enjoyed 1

Interesting piece you have there. I would  have definitely picked it up myself.  One thing I can say for sure is it looks like some of the ironstone concretions I've found  and  doesn't look like any  mosasaur teeth  that I've found. Still looking myself for  a theropod tooth so I'll stop here.  

• Enjoyed 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:43 AM, Life Finds A Way said:

Have you checked this site out? There's a similar looking worn theropod tooth pictured here, though not sure on the validity of this ID.

https://njfossils.com/dryptosaurus-aqualunguis/

Thanks. A good comparison example. I appreciate it. 

I can definitely see similarities. 

On 1/22/2024 at 3:19 PM, jonnyquest said:

Interesting piece you have there. I would  have definitely picked it up myself.  One thing I can say for sure is it looks like some of the ironstone concretions I've found  and  doesn't look like any  mosasaur teeth  that I've found. Still looking myself for  a theropod tooth so I'll stop here.  

Thanks. I've definitely collected many iron concretions in NJ that I mistook for a potential fossil, so wouldn't surprise me. Some of them I still hold onto, just in case. 

I'm hoping to schedule some time soon to bring it to the NJ State Museum. 

Hmm. The base just refuses to be coincidental. It’s a darn shame that it’s so unrecognizable but it definitely looks like a tooth. 

• I Agree 1

I was able to visit the NJ State Museum on Tuesday. Had an awesome time meeting with the Curator, Dana, touring the exhibit and the prep lab. Area was closed to the public, so it was just myself and the Paleontologists. 

They took a look at my sample, and General consensus from the team; it's definitely a tooth and more than likely Theropod. They seemed pretty confident, actually.

Here is a comparison shot with a Theropod tooth from their collection (species escapes me). Due to the wear to my example, hey were unable to confirm a species.

To say I'm beyond excited is an understatement. I just started looking for Fossils this past May, and never thought I'd find any Dino material, let a lone a tooth from a Theropod. Amazing stuff! 

IMG_6996.JPG

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 8

Congratulations! I’m excited for you. I was really hoping it was theropod myself. Plus, you got a great bonus tour. Maybe I should get some of my stuff IDed at museums if it means I can get a private tour :ighappy:

• Enjoyed 3

Great news!
Thanks for the follow up report!

Congratulations. :)

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, all! Much appreciated.

On 2/3/2024 at 10:29 AM, patelinho7 said:

Congratulations! I’m excited for you. I was really hoping it was theropod myself. Plus, you got a great bonus tour. Maybe I should get some of my stuff IDed at museums if it means I can get a private tour :ighappy:

Thanks! It was pretty awesome, for sure. I was able to see a couple of he specimens they were prepping, including a triceratops skull. 

Congrats! Always awesome to see the somewhat daring hypothesis turn out to be true, 99% of the time it's a rock or a common fossil but once and a while it really is something really cool :) (of course I knew it was theropod all along B))

• Thank You 1

On 2/6/2024 at 6:39 PM, bockryan said:

Congrats! Always awesome to see the somewhat daring hypothesis turn out to be true, 99% of the time it's a rock or a common fossil but once and a while it really is something really cool :) (of course I knew it was theropod all along B))

Thanks! It made sense, but I just assumed there'd be no chance. Glad I took it to the Museum to have them confirm. 

Speaking of rocks, while I was there, I of course I asked them if they could look through my box of "rocks" (unconfirmed fossils). Thankfully the pile has dwindled substantially since I first started. They weren't surprised when I asked, and basically expected I'd bring them other items to ID, lol. They were very cool about it, though.  Had a couple that were fossils, but nothing Earth shattering.  I have to imagine most collectors have that "let me hold onto for further evaluation" pile.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 9:33 AM, Masonk said:

Thanks! It made sense, but I just assumed there'd be no chance. Glad I took it to the Museum to have them confirm. 

Speaking of rocks, while I was there, I of course I asked them if they could look through my box of "rocks" (unconfirmed fossils). Thankfully the pile has dwindled substantially since I first started. They weren't surprised when I asked, and basically expected I'd bring them other items to ID, lol. They were very cool about it, though.  Had a couple that were fossils, but nothing Earth shattering.  I have to imagine most collectors have that "let me hold onto for further evaluation" pile.

As paleontologists, we MUST have such a pile.

• Enjoyed 1