Rockin' Ric

This particular resting traces was the find of the day! Several different traces from different species. This site seems to produce after every rain. A unique fossilized slab containing at least two identifiable track left by a Xiphosuran and Eurypterid. Carboniferous Period, Parkwood Formation, Southeastern USA.

20231229_180432.jpg

Edited by Rockin' Ric
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 19

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

Very impressive rock with all of those prints! Big congratulations on an excellent find and thanks for sharing it. Love to visit that site after a good rain.  

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

I really like it when there is such a diversity of tracks on the same slab.  I plan to join the Alabama Paleo Society this year, and I hope to get out to the Union Chapel Mine again.  Hopefully I’ll see you there.

Don

• I Agree 1

Very interesting piece.  I'm not familiar with Carboniferous tracks, and there are lots of impressions on this piece.  I've identified five areas (1 and 1a look like the same track type, and 4 looks more like random impressions) on the piece with impressions.  Can you identify the track types in each area, if any?  And there are impressions outside the areas that also look like tracks.  Anything different there?

20231229_180432.jpg.7353839a4ffda1f9dab0c3ea3a216ff9.thumb.jpg.e56fdebd148e0387d5d2ccb44c1a8e8a.jpg

Marco Sr.

Edited by MarcoSr
added outside areas
  • Enjoyed 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

13 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Very interesting piece.  I'm not familiar with Carboniferous tracks, and there are lots of impressions on this piece.  I've identified five areas (1 and 1a look like the same track type, and 4 looks more like random impressions) on the piece with impressions.  Can you identify the track types in each area, if any?  And there are impressions outside the areas that also look like tracks.  Anything different there?

20231229_180432.jpg.7353839a4ffda1f9dab0c3ea3a216ff9.thumb.jpg.e56fdebd148e0387d5d2ccb44c1a8e8a.jpg

Marco Sr.

Marco Sr. Red- Eurypterid foot prints. Orange- Diplichnites, arthropod. Yellow- Xiphosuran. Green, not sure... could be air bubbles. You left one out between #3 and #4. Bottom of thorax of some type of arthropod?

• I found this Informative 2

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

12 minutes ago, Rockin' Ric said:

Marco Sr. Red- Eurypterid foot prints. Orange- Diplichnites, arthropod. Yellow- Xiphosuran. Green, not sure... could be air bubbles. You left one out between #3 and #4. Bottom of thorax of some type of arthropod?

Thank you.  It really helps to understand what tracks are on the piece.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png