Request for non-USA Information: What best practices & alternative arrangements in hobbyist paleontology around the world can US hobbyist paleontology learn a thing or two from?

pefty

American paleontology hobbyist here, seeking wisdom from those of you outside the USA regarding amateur paleontology culture elsewhere. Call me crazy.

I'm seeking your stories to use in a planned talk in a session advocating for amateur/hobbyist contributions to paleontology, at the North American Paleontological Convention in June. Which stories? Well, the ones that offer better ways that amateur/hobbyist paleontology can interface with professionals, academics, corporations, and governments. I want to hear about the ways in which differences in cultural or historical or legal framework in different countries have led to different/better relationships with amateur/hobbyist paleontology than we have in the USA. For example:

• How do municipalities, corporations, and universities regard their role in actively or passively facilitating access/opportunity/education for amateurs/hobbyists?
  • How do states and universities regard hobbyist societies as knowledgeable partners in which to invest trust when it comes to approving outcrop access, amateur grants, etc.?
  • What is the funding mechanism for efforts to keep fossil exposures fresh at designated fossil parks?
  • Is there an amateur paleontology stewardship certification offered by the state, by the municipality, by the national society, by the local museum or university, or by individual quarries that lends meaningful weight when it comes to approving outcrop access, amateur grants, etc.?

If you have some interesting answers—especially anecdotal answers—to these and related questions, I'd love to catch up with you for 20 minutes to discuss. Your responses are what will open up possibilities for fossil collectors here in the USA and elsewhere. Let's talk.

To start the conversation, send me a DM. Or if you prefer to just leave your thoughts below, that's fine too. Thanks.

Edited by pefty
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

• pefty changed the title to Request for non-USA Information: What best practices & alternative arrangements in hobbyist paleontology around the world can US hobbyist paleontology learn a thing or two from?