Hunting the Silica Shale in Michigan

NickG

Does anyone have experience hunting the Silica Shale in Michigan? How common are vertebrate fossils?

I'll wager vertebrates will be fairly uncommon (placoderms, most notably Protitanichthys rockportensis). I have the Kesling and Chilman text, which is a great resource, but if you have not seen it already, this is a good online resource: http://michiganbasinfossils.org

And here is their list of submitted silica shale fossils: http://michiganbasinfossils.org/search?fm=Silica

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

There is only one Silica Shale site in Michigan and that is an abandoned quarry near Milan, Michigan.  The quarry is filled with water and the dump piles are overgrown.  It is also now a Super Fund site so access is highly controlled.   In the good old days you could occasionally find specimens of the placoderm Protitanichthys.  These days it is mostly brachiopods as the dump piles are highly weathered.  I can't remember the last time someone found a piece of a placoderm.

Joe

• I found this Informative 3

44 minutes ago, crinus said:

There is only one Silica Shale site in Michigan and that is an abandoned quarry near Milan, Michigan.  The quarry is filled with water and the dump piles are overgrown.  It is also now a Super Fund site so access is highly controlled.   In the good old days you could occasionally find specimens of the placoderm Protitanichthys.  These days it is mostly brachiopods as the dump piles are highly weathered.  I can't remember the last time someone found a piece of a placoderm.

Joe

I believe the North American Paleontological Convention will be doing a field trip to this site in June, might be better to do the Grand Ledge one on the same day, as much as I do like Silica Shale brachiopods (and I do!)

2 minutes ago, bockryan said:

I believe the North American Paleontological Convention will be doing a field trip to this site in June, might be better to do the Grand Ledge one on the same day, as much as I do like Silica Shale brachiopods (and I do!)

If your goal is collecting, the Silica Shale + Blue Ridge Esker trip is what you want. Both sites are visited by local clubs for collecting, and it sounds like collecting is the goal of the conference trips. On the other hand, the Grand Ledge outcrops are (I believe) in a nature preserve so no collecting.

1 minute ago, connorp said:

If your goal is collecting, the Silica Shale + Blue Ridge Esker trip is what you want. Both sites are visited by local clubs for collecting, and it sounds like collecting is the goal of the conference trips. On the other hand, the Grand Ledge outcrops are (I believe) in a nature preserve so no collecting.

Correct, pretty sure no collecting at Grand Ledge, still interesting to see of course :) 

I was planning on taking the BRE trip if it does not conflict with the workshop I am presenting on that same day, but if the Silica Shale trip is a chance at a site that is otherwise off-limits, that's another story entirely. :) 

Edited by NickG
clarified

43 minutes ago, NickG said:

I was planning on taking the BRE trip if it does not conflict with the workshop I am presenting on that same day, but if the Silica Shale trip is a chance at a site that is otherwise off-limits, that's another story entirely. :) 

Well both sites are currently only accessible on FUMMP club trips. You’ll have better vertebrate luck at BRE from what I’ve seen.

• Thank You 1

26 minutes ago, connorp said:

Well both sites are currently only accessible on FUMMP club trips. You’ll have better vertebrate luck at BRE from what I’ve seen.

There's more to life than vertebrates though. 🙂

• I Agree 1