Petrified Wood Piece With A Real Marijuana Leaf Fossilized

It can be very difficult to tell from pictures, a lot of the time, fossils that are misidentified, completely fake, composites, restored etc.  This one is very easy to tell.  I'm always looking for petrified wood on-line from a couple of the large auction sites and came across this piece.  It made me laugh when I saw it, so I thought I would post it for other TFF members to enjoy.  If you can't see immediately the multiple problems with the piece description, based upon the below pictures (there were many more pictures in the post), do not buy fossils on-line.  At least the seller posted a good number of decent pictures from all angles, not the couple of blurry, grainy pictures that you normally would see for items like this.

EDIT:  Do not try a burn test on this piece to determine if it is a fossil or modern, unless you are burning it to heat your house.  :default_rofl:

Item description:  Petrified Wood Piece With A Real Marijuana Leaf Fossilized

s-l504.jpg.6534ef0f5002082c05989ed5bbcfda16.jpg s-l507.jpg.c282b8af17878b4349efe653faa367ca.jpg

s-l508.jpg.75ad43911278e8bf0f259665b81c85f5.jpg

Marco Sr.

Edited by MarcoSr
Added burn test
  • Enjoyed 10

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

It should fit the description in about another million years or so. Real good example of "planning ahead". lol

• Enjoyed 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

6 hours ago, daves64 said:

It should fit the description in about another million years or so. Real good example of "planning ahead". lol

I was reading one of my petrified wood books, "Daniels Dayvault 2006 Ancient Forests A closer look at fossil wood", yesterday and came across the below section.  I was totally surprised to learn that wood that falls into a hot spring can be converted to silicified wood in a matter of a decade or less.

TimetoFormPetrifiedWood1.thumb.jpg.b59a72c0c957fc89a03fe223536893aa.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I have heard that the timbers in the gold mine in Lead, South Dakota are fossilized.  They were installed in the late 1800's, I believe.  There are enough minerals in the ground water there that the wood is now petrified.  I tried to get permission once to go look... denied, as it is a deep underground mine and they don't really let anyone in.  There is a piece of wood in the Natural History Museum in London from an ancient copper mine in Greece/Crete/Cypru?s that is permineralized with copper.  Not decades, but certainly very quick fossilization.  

Meanwhile, the wood with pot leaf.... a true gem for the weed-head in your life.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

• 2 weeks later...

"I was totally surprised to learn that wood that falls into a hot spring can be converted to silicified wood in a matter of a decade or less."

Even much, much shorter than that. Such things are normally produced at the Acque Albule ("Whitish Waters") thermal spa between Rome and Tivoli (in use since Roman times). I'm not sure how long a flower must remain submerged into the hot springs laden with hydrogen sulphide to be completely covered by a mineral coat (although arguably not completely mineralised), but it could hardly be more than 24h.

20240130_211335.jpg

20240130_211354.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

These are called petrifying fountains. Some put all kinds of objects to see them cover with limestone in a very short time.

That said, when you dip a branch in this type of place, the fact that it is covered with limestone (or scale etc...) does not mean that it is fossilized, in other words that its molecules are replaced by a mineral.

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg