Possible Petrified Wood, Washington State

St. Anthony

Good Day Everyone,

I am currently on Whidbey Island, Washington, USA and have been beach combing in my free time.  There was a huge storm that hit the coast about 2 weeks ago.  I found this piece washed up against a rock wall after the storm.  Looks to have some wood structure but not sure.  Dimension for this piece are 21 cm x 15 cm x 33 cm and the weight is 9 KG.  This is a westerly facing beach.  There is a ton of drift wood all around this island.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  I will be heading home in a week and am looking to identify this piece to determine what i do with it before I leave.  Thank you all for your time and expertise. 

20240125_205745.jpg

20240125_205839.jpg

20240125_205906.jpg

20240125_205927.jpg

20240125_210006.jpg

20240125_210034.jpg

20240125_210116.jpg

20240125_210128.jpg

I would have to vote leaverite on this one. It looks like metamorphic rock to me. So, I would leave it right there. 

• I Agree 1

Looks like a form of schist.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you Rockwood. That is one of the better ones I have heard. I may borrow your mineral identifier.

Thank you Mr. Kmiecik.

Looks like schist to me as well. Pretty common around here. Does it have a slight, almost silvery sheen to it? Most schist I've seen has usually had that.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

daves64 it does. I have learned that things that have the shapes of wood are not always wood.  This has been a great experience I am so glad I found this site. Everyday you learn something is a good day. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Whidbey is a beautiful place!