How to prep this fossil?

Ammonite_hunter

Hi all! We found this fossil a few days ago on a trip to Charmouth, UK. I’m brand new to fossil prep and I thought I give this a go. However this one confuses me a little because I’m not sure what is the best approach. Should I try to clean it up on the agatized side or the other side? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA 

Welcome to the forum, Ammonite_hunter! 

Although I'm not certain, but what I see on your Dremel 290 is the original tip which is for engraving metals.  The ZoicPaleoTech stylus kit comes with 3 tungsten carbide tips and they are night and day different and better for prepping fossils. 

Here's a link: https://www.zoicpaleotech.com/products/3-pack-fossil-preparation-styli-long-short-chisel-to-fit-the-dremel-290

They are located here - 

ZOIC PalaeoTech Ltd

Fossil Cottage, Longburton, Sherborne, Dorset, UK

If you do already have these tips - good onya! 

As for moving forward, if takes a lot of practice to get great results.  Andrew Cuff on YouTube has been an inspiration to me. He preps ammos with the Dremel tool and does a bang up job. Check out a few of his videos if you haven't already. 

https://www.youtube.com/@dinoskool

Best of luck,

Steve

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Hey there! Thank you for the reply! I have ordered the three tips from them. Currently awaiting delivery and I was just practicing with the dremel standard tip. 

I should have been more specific but I’m confused on how to start with the prep work. Not sure of  what is going on with the fossil to get a clear idea of how to approach it… 

24 minutes ago, Ammonite_hunter said:

Not sure of  what is going on with the fossil to get a clear idea of how to approach it… 

That’s understandable with that piece. Especially with there being multiples on there. Can we get good close up still pictures of both sides? It’s easier to suss out a plan from a still picture then from a clip.

Edited by Randyw
  • I Agree 1

Hey there, to further advise you we would need to see photos of both sides to deside the best way to proceed 

• I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ammonite_hunter said:

Hey there! Thank you for the reply! I have ordered the three tips from them. Currently awaiting delivery and I was just practicing with the dremel standard tip. 

I should have been more specific but I’m confused on how to start with the prep work. Not sure of  what is going on with the fossil to get a clear idea of how to approach it… 

These tips from zoic are a must for the 290, i use them all the time and they are fantastic 

8 hours ago, Brian James Maguire said:

Hey there, to further advise you we would need to see photos of both sides to deside the best way to proceed 

Attached some pictures 

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, Randyw said:

That’s understandable with that piece. Especially with there being multiples on there. Can we get good close up still pictures of both sides? It’s easier to suss out a plan from a still picture then from a clip.

Attached some photos 

6 hours ago, Ammonite_hunter said:

Attached some photos 

This is a bit of a tricky one, i would start around the centre matrix disc on the side of the second photo, start at the edges , see how easy or hard it is for the flakes to pop off, dont put too much pressure on the tip, have patience and take it slow, if it is removing the matrix nicely keep going, if its sticky, move to another area or try the other side, patience is the name of the prep game! Over time and many fossils you will just naturally become better, its very rewarding , post some photos of your progress, i hope it goes well for you.

• Thank You 1

As preppers everyone has their own styles and each piece requires a different approach so you’ll probably get as many different ways as there are people responding to you. I would actually come in from the sides like I marked with the arrows. The reason being is I can’t tell for sure from the pictures but it looks to me like you essentially have a cross section of it. Think of it as a “sandwich” with the pieces of the “bread” missing and only the “meat” remaining. So I’d come in from the side where I know it’s the most solid and then work my way around. I do think the side in the other picture is the most complete if you decide to go in from the center. As Brian mentioned go slow and let the tool do the work. Patience is a blessing when it comes to prepping….

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_0720.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Beware prepping the umbilicus of an ammonite that is so weathered on the opposite side. They are thin even when not weathered. You might have only the thinnest bit of shell under the matrix. I would put some glue on the back side to support it. Otherwise, you’re likely to break the center out while prepping. This can happen to the most experienced preppers and is almost guaranteed for a new prepper. A coating of cyanoacrylate on the reverse side will help hold everything in place.

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1