Tyrannosaurus Vert?

svcgoat

Sellers says this is a Trex vert from the Hell Creek Formation. Any way to tell the difference between a Trex and a Herbivore?

@jpc @hadrosauridae

Screenshot_20240128-091130.png.babc5f41128759ed96f13e0aae3dc13e.png

Screenshot_20240128-091134.png.0566a0eb6d9d51c7ed80309beb2d5814.png

Screenshot_20240128-091137.png.0bba759af17491d64a8ac5d0123d98a3.png

Screenshot_20240128-091141.png.62b5e8841189698095664a83e8c78c8a.png

Size can help determine the id. T. Rex bone also has a honeycomb shape to the inner trabecular bone. Vertebral bodies (centrum) are narrow in the middle than the ends. 

• I found this Informative 1

the end on view of a tyrannosaur is very round, which this one is not,  But the is that because the bone is incomplete?  If it were, we would be looking into it in the pix of the broken surface.  This is where a T would show honeycombing.  I do not see it.  (the photo where the caliper says 5.006).  Matter of fact, there is so much glue or something on this part, that it is hard to see what is going on. 

As browning says above : "Vertebral bodies (centrum) are narrow in the middle than the ends."  But I do not think this one is narrow enough.

Looking at Brochu's mongraph (the link in browning's second post) it is too long to be a cervical.  Most dorsals are more deeply concave than this one although I would ask the seller for a side view to be sure.  It could be aa tail vert.

As for diving deep... this is exactly what a potential buyer should be doing before spending money on an expensive fossil.  (I just had a guy contact me asking to authenticate his Psittacosaurus skeleton he bought... my initial reaction... "Dude, authenticate this before you spend too much money on it", but i was polite). 

I would ask the seller why he is calling it a rex?  

Edited by jpc

Thank you I asked and they said that's what they were told 

Online sales, especially ebay, are so sketchy. You have to know your stuff. I bet I can go there now and find a $5k "dinosaur bone" or "fossilized brain" that is 100% river cobble. 

• Enjoyed 1

Yeah I know that's why I like to check here first :BigSmile: