Central Texas - cretaceous jaw? Other ideas?

TSCannon

Hi all - found this at a site in Central Texas that I believe is part of the Ozan formation. I’ve found a couple of similarly poorly preserved fossils that I’ve been told were likely marine reptiles of some sort. 

Anyone have an idea of what this gnarly thing might be? Looked like a jaw bone at first glance, but I have no real idea. I gently scrubbed it to clean it a little but the gravel is cemented on there pretty strongly. 

Thanks!

IMG_4795.jpeg.a4d56ed629866dd2edbfaf5db8b01b9d.jpeg

IMG_4784.jpeg.96ed78c1d7d321795fb2f3bcf3b59cc4.jpeg

IMG_4790.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4771.jpeg

IMG_4754.jpeg

IMG_4729.jpeg

IMG_4719.jpeg

IMG_4712.jpeg

IMG_4709.jpeg

IMG_4711.jpeg

IMG_4699.jpeg

IMG_4683.jpeg

IMG_4640.jpeg

IMG_4646.jpeg

IMG_4628.jpeg

IMG_4620.jpeg

IMG_4584.jpeg

IMG_4558.jpeg

IMG_4542.jpeg

This doesn't appear to me to be Ozan preservation.  It looks more like Eocene conglomerate.  I'm also not seeing any typical preservation of reptile bone.  Better images showing the detail of the lighter chunk in you last image could be useful.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

29 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

This doesn't appear to me to be Ozan preservation.  It looks more like Eocene conglomerate.  I'm also not seeing any typical preservation of reptile bone.  Better images showing the detail of the lighter chunk in you last image could be useful.

Thanks - it could certainly be something from a more recent deposit. In person, all of the gravely texture on the outside looks like it could be removed pretty easily, but I didn’t want to soak it or scrub it too much. I thought it might be something from the Cretaceous that was secondarily deposited in more recent gravels and collected a bunch of sediment over time.  

I’ll try to get a better photo - my iPhone isn’t focusing as well as it used to.