Articulated shark spine?

Slow Walker

Found them lined up like this in Pierre shale sd. Never seen verts like this before but heard shark vert are flat like this.

Any insight would be great! 

20240130_142608.jpg

20240130_142632.jpg

20240130_142731.jpg

20240130_142804.jpg

20240130_142739.jpg

20240130_142717.jpg

20240130_142749.jpg

20240130_142646.jpg

20240130_142703.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Certainly looks like it

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

I have a jacket with a string of flat shark centra from the Pierre Shale of South Dakota that look just like your specimens.

Marco Sr.

Thanks! Do you think i should have jacketed them? Do you know how common these are to find in that formation? 

3 hours ago, Slow Walker said:

Thanks! Do you think i should have jacketed them? Do you know how common these are to find in that formation? 

Too late now to think about jacketing them.  Associated/articulated shark centra are uncommon in the Pierre Shale of South Dakota.

Mine were firmly embedded in the formation.  I didn't want to dig them out individually at the site.  I was afraid I might damage them.  I'll probably harden the formation around the centra and the centra themselves (They are quite fragile), and display them as they were found in the formation.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

4 hours ago, Slow Walker said:

Thanks! Do you think i should have jacketed them?

A jacket is mostly for fragile things but it might have helped keep them in order. You can carry them out in aluminum foil to keep them aligned as found but an in-situ photo is good insurance for correct reassembly. Did you keep them all right-side-up and in order?

5 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Too late now to think about jacketing them.  Associated/articulated shark centra are uncommon in the Pierre Shale of South Dakota.

Mine were firmly embedded in the formation.  I didn't want to dig them out individually at the site.  I was afraid I might damage them.  I'll probably harden the formation around the centra and the centra themselves (They are quite fragile), and display them as they were found in the formation.

Marco Sr.

I see, mine where not held in tightly. 

4 hours ago, BobWill said:

A jacket is mostly for fragile things but it might have helped keep them in order. You can carry them out in aluminum foil to keep them aligned as found but an in-situ photo is good insurance for correct reassembly. Did you keep them all right-side-up and in order?

Ah ok, these weren't fragile. ya I kept track of the order found in. 

• Enjoyed 1