I found this in my boyfriend’s new house, it was previously owned by an old couple and they left behind everything. This was in a bucket with random rocks I assume they found. This was at the very bottom. Upon further research I found that it might be fake so wondering how I would be able to tell. The swirl lines don’t look to be carved and if they were they did so slightly. So I can’t tell

IMG_2058.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

It's real, someone more knowledgeable might even be able to give you a genus. I assume this is in Texas? 

• Enjoyed 1

Looks like a real, fair sized, ammonite, likely from the age of the dinosaur.

• I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ashv11 said:

I found this in my boyfriend’s new house, it was previously owned by an old couple and they left behind everything. This was in a bucket with random rocks I assume they found. This was at the very bottom. Upon further research I found that it might be fake so wondering how I would be able to tell. The swirl lines don’t look to be carved and if they were they did so slightly. So I can’t tell

IMG_2058.jpeg

Looks like a real Mortoniceras ammonite to me.

If you don’t mind, what county or general area is it from?

I usually find those in the Fort Worth formation, which stretches quite a ways from north to south. 

• I found this Informative 3

I would love to find something like that.  Here almost all the ammonites shells dissolve away, leaving only impressions and fragments.