"Gracie" the Russellosaurina Mosasaur

LSCHNELLE

"Gracie" the mosasaur was finally freed from her 90 million year old South Bosque Member of the Eagle Ford Shale "prison" today. Partly exposed before her discovery on Fossil Day 2023, she is 4 meters long, complete, and fully articulated - although part of her tail and trunk washed downstream on October 5, 2023.  A good part of that float has been recovered. A trip report is following when I get the energy to update my ongoing report after the last 5 straight days of excavation. Thanks go out to @Jared C, @JohnJ@GPayton,  my wife Susie, daughter Angela, Stephen Cruse, and many others who helped - especially Dr. Mike Polcyn of SMU.

CaudalVertebrateColumn10112023.thumb.jpg.0a0003810c6ee1d661e2ad5125fddabb.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 12

Lee, your determination and effort, along with your excavation team, deserves our highest regards and admiration!  I'm looking forward to when you can share more images and details of your discovery!  Congratulations!

• Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It’s been a surreal week. So glad I could help on this discovery, and I can’t wait to read your view on the dig. TFF folks are in for a treat!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Awesome discovery! 
Thanks for sharing it here!
Definitely looking forward to some updates!  :)  :popcorn:

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! What a find Lee! And amazing to see what you hinted at on Insta, @Jared C. Truly spectacular! Congratulations! :JustCuz_clapping:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 2/2/2024 at 12:46 PM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Wow! What a find Lee! And amazing to see what you hinted at on Insta, @Jared C. Truly spectacular! Congratulations! :JustCuz_clapping:

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odonCheck out my report on "Gracie" in fossil hunting trip reports section.

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/2/2024 at 11:52 AM, Tidgy&#x27;s Dad said:

Wow! :default_faint:

@Tidgy's Dadcheck out my report on "Gracie" the basal mosasaur in the fossil hunting trip report section.

• Thank You 1

On 2/2/2024 at 2:56 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Incredible!  :popcorn: :popcorn: :default_faint: :default_faint:

Don

@FossilDAWGcheck out my report on Gracie the mosasaur in the fossil hunting trip report section.