How should clean my fossils?

VINGOP

Recently, I found some mammal fossils right next to a river. The bones were buried in clay but the water had removed some sediment so they were visible although they were broken in tens of pieces. Later, I cleaned the soft clay from the bones and placed the small pieces together using normal glue because I have found out that its results are nearly as good as fossil glue or at least it doesn't have visible differences. Although the bones are almost complete, there is still a lot hardened red clay that doesn't go away with water or brushes. What should I use to clean the fossils completely without damaging them? (with household items if it's possible) Here's a photo of my 2 favourite ones.

IMG_20240202_075316.jpg

1 hour ago, SPrice said:

Nice fossils!  I would recommend a thorough research through the Fossil Forum's Preparation section. You can peruse at your leisure without waiting for someone to give an opinion or advice.

https://www.thefossilforum.com/forum/170-fossil-preparation/

Well I didn't find anything about hardened clay but I will move the topic to this section 

By putting a little water with a dropper on a small surface at a time, the clay should soften enough to be able to gently scrape it with any blade or cutter.

Do a test in a small corner to see the reaction, because the clay can be quite brittle as it can be hardened and mixed with something else.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 2/3/2024 at 12:01 PM, Coco said:

By putting a little water with a dropper on a small surface at a time, the clay should soften enough to be able to gently scrape it with any blade or cutter.

Do a test in a small corner to see the reaction, because the clay can be quite brittle as it can be hardened and mixed with something else.

Coco

Thank you but as I said it is hardened and mixed with other material. I am afraid that if I use vinegar the fossils could be damaged. What will happen if I soak them in water for some hours?(the fossils aren't fragile)

On 2/3/2024 at 4:01 AM, Coco said:

Coco

I would also try this.  If it softens up, an X-acto knife or other hobby knife can be used to slowly and carefully scrape away layers of sediment.

9 hours ago, VINGOP said:

Thank you but as I said it is hardened and mixed with other material. I am afraid that if I use vinegar the fossils could be damaged. What will happen if I soak them in water for some hours?(the fossils aren't fragile)

I would suggest to -not- soak them in vinegar.  If you feel comfortable that the fossil is strong enough, you can try to soak in water, then scrape away the clay. 

Just my amateur opinion :Wink1:

• I found this Informative 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne