I recently spent [price redacted) on this Drotops Armatus from an USA fossil dealer. But when I received it, I became very suspicious. First, I examined it clearly and there isn't any sign of cracking and glueing, which is pretty unusual based on my knowledge. Second, the color is just too brown. Seller claimed this specimen is from Altchana formation, but I never seen such color in any other Morocco trilobites. Third, there are around 10-20 tiny little holes (less than 0.5mm) on the bug surface, which looked very suspicious. Seller claimed these holes are caused by sand blaster.

Can I trust this specimen? Very worried and want some advice!

IMG_5747.jpg

图像 6.JPG

图像 7.JPG

图像 8.JPG

图像 9.JPG

IMG_5745.HEIC IMG_5746.HEIC

I must say I am on the verge of real or fake, the color and texture still feels weird to me, it's kind of uncanny.

Normally the one with strange coloration that I have seen are like this, not so uniform:

image.png.f1a3261ffcd9a36a043aca5a2e9c375d.png

This one I know 100% it's real and still have some of this bubble that you say.

image.png.de7ee1e62bbbccc2db900c1e006426b9.png

In conclusion I don't know, maybe in person it's different than the photos you posted and it's the lightning but the texture and of your trilobite feels weird, but at the same time I don't think I can say that 100% it's fake. Let's see what other think.

• Thank You 1

Thanks for replying! So the tiny holes are not necessarily an indication of fake?

I attached two more photos taken at my place. Maybe they give a clearer look. But I think you are right, the uniformly brown color just looks super weird.

IMG_5745.jpg

IMG_5746.jpg

Maybe try a small swipe with Acetone? The color is odd and I'd wonder if painted? It definitely looks off.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Thanks for the advice. Will try Acetone later.

Here are more photos coming. I just felt strange of the texture of head and eyes. Also, the backside of matrix seems weird too.

7a8c4a73-e43e-448e-89c7-7a3ebdc45f7c.JPG

IMG_5753.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

It's painted and the spines are fake! I would try using acetone on it, but carefully, because the spines are glued and if you wan't to return it, you must not destroy it. Don't worry that there is "no sign of cracking and glueing", there is - it's painted over, but you can still see some glueing on the cephalon, through the eye (last photo).  

Question is how spines were made? Note what should be a pointy glabella - tubercules are almost totally massacred, but the spines on thorax are perfectly preserved, lol. Difficult bug to prep, but it's interesting to see how it seems that preparator did a great job on thorax and pygidum, but totally massacred glabella... If you ask me it doesn't look good! All spines are fake imho

If you give it an acetone bath all spines will fall off (D. armatus are usually prepped by removing all spines and reattaching them in the end anyway, but the question here is how many spines are actually real). It's supposed to be Drotops armatus forma accurata with short spines, but since it's painted and spines "restored" and glabella completely massacred in prep, only God knows what's hidding bellow paint.

Edited by aeon.rocks
  • I Agree 4

It would be fun to give it an acetone bath, just to confirm what's underneath the paint and if any spines are real; but then I guess return is not an option. To expensive to play with it... You could try checking with UV lamp however.

A 100% real armatus is difficult to find these days, most have some restorations on spines, but not totally fake spines. Real D. forma accuarata is rare however, you will have probably more luck finding a good real forma armata (long spines) available. 

Edited by aeon.rocks
  • Enjoyed 1

Thanks for the education. Really hope I know a little more before the purchase. But I guess this is the lesson I have to learn:headscratch:

what a fake..., well done but a fake. Good that it was possible to find out that it is not real so you can give it back...

This trilos are hard to prep so it is not easy to find a perfect one. But, they exist and are sometimes not so expensive as I would expect for such a work.

I tried one (pic attached), prepped around 4 hours to stop. Not my cup of tea..., haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard work, will go back in the www :-)

1380_Drotops_armatus.jpg

1381_Drotops_armatus.jpg

Edited by rocket
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

A reminder to keep discussion ON THE SPECIMEN ONLY, NOT THE SELLER. Please do not post screenshots of the seller page, nor post prices.

When it comes to these and other trilobites of higher value, it is reasonable to request photos of the preparation process. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

To me it looks like it has had a TON of work on it!  and a sandblaster unit would not put holes in it like that.   Someone had a lot of time on their hands.  Try not to feel too bad, we have all been taken before.  Its a tuff way to learn, but also one of the best.

RB

• I Agree 3

It looks resin to me.

Is it definitely rock?

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png