Fossil or random rock

VINGOP

I found a couple of weird rocks in a beach. Are they fossils or normal rocks? Location: Ormos Lemonias, Greece. I would appreciate if you could identify whether this particular one is a fossil or not, the other is similar but I can't send it right now.

17070430430992582829111051790872.thumb.jpg.49ee6d789f344559d2e7cf65d3bffade.jpg

It's hard to be certain, but internal mold of a gastropod (steinkern) seems most likely to me. 

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

It's hard to be certain, but internal mold of a gastropod (steinkern) seems most likely to me. 

Interesting...are there any other gastropods that have been fossilised this way? Also, I can't send the other rock because it is somewhere in my basement but it is made of the same sediment and it has many worms like this but they are all parallel to each other.

In some formations, steinkerns are quite common if not sometimes the only way in which the gastropods will appear. During fossilization, it is not uncommon that shell material may dissolve. 

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

In some formations, steinkerns are quite common if not sometimes the only way in which the gastropods will appear. During fossilization, it is not uncommon that shell material may dissolve. 

I know, actually these kind of fossils are pretty similar to trace fossils. I was talking about the shape which seems to be deformed. Any ideas about why this may have happened?

I'm not in the gastropod camp with this one given its vermicular form, and would be much more comfortable in assigning this an ichnofossil designation.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

does not really reminds me to a gastropod fossil, I would vote for a remain of the Ichnogenus Gyrolithes

1 minute ago, rocket said:

does not really reminds me to a gastropod fossil, I would vote for a remain of the Ichnogenus Gyrolithes

Thank you! Tomorrow I will send the other fossil from this location.

• Enjoyed 1

Hi!

The whole area of the Northern shore of the Corinthian Gulf is mostly Cretaceous deposits. 
One good way to start is to check this publication of Steuber

Steuber_SpecPap_Palaeont_1999 Cretaceous-rudists-of-Boeotia-Central-Greece

I didn't reach your place since I headed South after the circumference of Mount Parnassos this summer and turn East after the crossroad of Itea.

This grey limestone is without a doubt of Cretaceous age and is of the quality that does not have fossils, or are so deformed that you cannot be sure.

If that thing on your stone was something alive, then it was some Trochacteon, Acteonela or a similar gastropod. I cannot understand it from the picture, I am just making logical assumptions based on the most common gastropods of the area/era.

There are better localities to start with, but most of them require a 4X4 car, proper one not FIAT Panda

Elikonas mountains should be a good start, Ptoon is not bad at all (there you can reach with a normal car as well), Chaeronea is nice soon as you avoid drunkards with shotguns, the hill South of Livadia is super nice but the road is really rugged.

Lastly, this place

38.472399, 22.735226

I managed to climb until this spot 38.474557, 22.735100

As per Steuber, the first 200-300m are mostly fragmented rudists but on the higher (or top?) of this hill, there are some very nice corals.

Historical note:

The dirt road crossing the two mountains is called Schisti Odos, literally meaning "the tearing apart road", since it divides these two hills.

On that road, Oedipus killed his father Laius.