How do you differentiate Pleistocene bison from camel molars ?

Cornpop

I found this on the beach in Georgetown,South Carolina, USA. The  beach is in the Waccamaw Geological formation  & same area l found other Pleistocene megafauna ( mammoth & horse ). 

This tooth has smooth waved enamel sides, rough jagged crown & root with 4 holes. Any help with identifying it is welcome & appreciated.

FA4CE383-5DE3-4E86-ACB6-01DEADAD93F7.jpeg

9B466921-18DD-47E5-98BB-90C9E8873FA0.jpeg

2BE9CC0C-357B-4573-93F6-B1A6F4672E0D.jpeg

A855D283-C240-4E31-8290-C2457A1A8293.jpeg

2 hours ago, Cornpop said:

I found this on the beach in Georgetown,South Carolina, USA. The  beach is in the Waccamaw Geological formation  & same area l found other Pleistocene megafauna ( mammoth & horse ). 

This tooth has smooth waved enamel sides, rough jagged crown & root with 4 holes. Any help with identifying it is welcome & appreciated.

I'll try to give some of the knowledge I have picked up over 15 years.

1) Generally ignore the root with 4 holes.  It have minimal identification value.

2) Your last photo has the side pointing away from the tongue. It only has slightly more value than the roots for Identification.

3) Your 3rd photo would show a "Stylid" if one exists. Yours has one .  Modern cattle and bison may have a stylid.  Llama never has a stylid.  That answers the question you pose: How do you differentiate Pleistocene bison from camel molars ?

4) The best photo for Identification is always the chewing surface.  The length of the chewing surface is very important if you wish to differentiate between modern cattle and bison. Cattle are descended from Bison and therefore their teeth look the same! Bison teeth for similar age and sex tend to be larger for Bison than for cows. Your chewing surface seems to be between 41 and 44 mm in length. Why make me guess?  What is it exactly?

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, the chewing surface is 42mm x 14mm with a caliper 

1 hour ago, Cornpop said:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, the chewing surface is 42mm x 14mm with a caliper 

Well,  42 mm might push you up to Bison depending on the position of your tooth.  It is not an m3.

Here are some tables that may help..  Your tooth might be an m2.

Bison_Antiquestable183690.jpg.d3e9641d44094fd14ef45dc74a12df69.jpgbison_teeth_table.jpg.d82f71ad19333691b310bee49d8bb1d5.jpg

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Couldn’t what Harry said last week apply here? The brachydont vrs hypsodont comparison. 

horses and bison/Bos are hypsodont so they are high crowns. Cervids, camelids included, are brachydont so they have low crowns. 

Even before looking at the rest of the tooth. The crown height will get you started. Then the fully enclosed enamels, stylid etc. 

Nothing missing from y’all’s answers. Just realized Harry’s tip may be good enough. 

Jp

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1