Snapping Turtle Egg

Cynthia Wren

Found in my lawn, alone,,sitting atop a patch of grass. Snapping turtles have owned the nearby pond for decades(side note: in size & shape, their shells look like the lid of a 30 gallon trash can- they will stop & turn, take a menacing stance, and seem ready & willing to charge. I back away slowly and respectfully, in case they’ve evolved into speed runners😳). I would like to know how to assess the age of this egg. It seems like a rock- it’s heavy,

wasn’t damaged in a 5’ accidental drop to concrete, and thankfully nothing tried to hatch- lol)  It’s beautiful 

image.jpg

Sorry, but this does not look like an egg to me.

Knowing where this was found  (Country, state or region,and county or department ) would be helpful in determining if egg fossils are possibly found in your area.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The perfect "roundness" looks like a ball bearing to me. Is it attracted to a magnet?

• I Agree 1

52 minutes ago, fossilus said:

The perfect "roundness" looks like a ball bearing to me. Is it attracted to a magnet?

3 hours ago, Cynthia Wren said:

Found in my lawn, alone,,sitting atop a patch of grass. Snapping turtles have owned the nearby pond for decades(side note: in size & shape, their shells look like the lid of a 30 gallon trash can- they will stop & turn, take a menacing stance, and seem ready & willing to charge. I back away slowly and respectfully, in case they’ve evolved into speed runners😳). I would like to know how to assess the age of this egg. It seems like a rock- it’s heavy,

wasn’t damaged in a 5’ accidental drop to concrete, and thankfully nothing tried to hatch- lol)  It’s beautiful 

image.jpg

I believe this is an eggi from an extant generation of the pond’s longtime  resident snappers.  It’s state of preservation has me baffled. Most of the patterning  looks like blue quartz bits. I can trace fungal forms in the design as well. Do environmental fungi ever preserve rather than decompose?  

It doesn’t attract a magnet. Good suggestion though.

I appreciate the reasoning here, but I still lean no on this piece

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Snapping turtle eggs are very round and are about the size of your item, but they are usually white and they certainly don't come out of the turtles in the pond as stone.  Nor would they fossilize in several decades. 

Does it feel solid?  What does it sound like when you tap it?  And yes, where was this found (generally, we don't need your address :heartylaugh:).  All this info is helpful to assess what you have here.  Thanks

• I found this Informative 1

I would expect that five foot drop to do some damage if it were a fossil.  

I agree with the others that the perfect sphere appears manmade, and I would not expect an egg to mineralize to that degree of hardness.

I would try cleaning it with a vinegar solution to identify the underlying material.  This would help you know whether you're looking at a natural piece or something manmade.

I agree that it isn't an egg.  Still mysterious how it suddenly appeared on the lawn.

Don

Looks like grape shot used in cannons.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

My pseudo egg was found in Dolgeville, NY. Geography & exposed rock beds here are intriguing to me. I expect Devonian corals are underfoot. The “egg” makes a muffled tanging sound when tapped with metal- could be ceramic as suggested. Vinegar wash & brushing doesn’t dislodge the patterning on it. I won’t crack it open until I learn how /why the object acquired it. The pic shows the pattern, as well as rock forms readily found here.

image.jpg

Looks like you have a piece of orthoconic nautiloid. The upper specimen.

• I Agree 1