Hunting in wet sand with no access to water

Eric9799

Hi hope this is the right place in the forum to ask this, I have a limestone quarry that I hunt in using a sifting table. And it’s that type of sand that when wet just clogs up the table every use, do anyone have any tips to get past this? I’m usually only able to hunt in the summer when the sand is dry but I just can’t wait 😅

below is the sifting table I use, inspired by someone in the forum.

ED1E6F38-EC92-4082-B852-5C2843E84822.jpeg

7EF32A4F-3392-49DD-B42F-7A9887C763E9.jpeg

I see a puddle! if you dig a hole and allow water to collect you could wet sift in that, alternatively you will just have to use a larger mesh size

3/8” will move clumpy sand with good action. I run a 3/8” on top and a 1/4” underneath. They stack together.. ish. Basically I hold them together. 3/8 breaks it up enough to send it the other 1/4”. 

jp

• I found this Informative 1

30 minutes ago, Balance said:

3/8” will move clumpy sand with good action. I run a 3/8” on top and a 1/4” underneath. They stack together.. ish. Basically I hold them together. 3/8 breaks it up enough to send it the other 1/4”. 

jp

I have 3 different mesh sizes 3/8 1/4 and one a bit smaller at the bottom, but it even clumps up the 1/4 

3 hours ago, Notidanodon said:

I see a puddle! if you dig a hole and allow water to collect you could wet sift in that, alternatively you will just have to use a larger mesh size

Thanks somehow never thought about digging a bigger puddle, might just have to do that :)

If you can carry it in, you could use a portable/camping shower like the Nemo Helio Pressure Shower.  I'm not sure how high the water pressure is on these (and some hold a lot more water than others) but it could at least be used to clean out the sifter every so often if it's not sufficient for rinsing the material.

Edited by Fin Lover

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.