Is the top on this Spinosaurus tooth reconstructed?

Hello, i saw this Spinosaurus tooth for sale today and it looks really good to me. But theres something weird about it. It looks like If a crack was filled in the top, but just from one side. Is that something to worry about ?

Screenshot_2024-02-08-15-07-33-372_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-02-08-15-07-20-581_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-02-08-15-07-00-498_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-02-08-15-07-12-067_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-02-08-15-06-45-456_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-02-08-15-07-44-582_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Are good signatures really that important ?

I would assume the tip has been added

there is a sink where the gluing is, this indicates that the tip might be too small, ergo, added (or badly glued, who knows)

Hard to tell but if the other side is smooth no crack then I'd be inclined to say not added and just discolored.  The sink on one side could also be from pieces missing.  If the risk would bother you though, I'd say just pass on it.  Many spino teeth out there.

Edited by FB003
  • I Agree 1

*Frank*

What do you mean with "reconstructed"? Just broken off and glued back on? I think you asked because of the little dent. I have several teeth more or less exactly like that. The Because spinosaur teeth are often quite brittle the top can break off, but that´s then a clear cut and easy to glue back on. It could be that your top was glued back on it, because of the black decoloration on the one side. Hard to tell just fron a picture.

If you mean with "reconstructed" that the top was resculpted from epoxy clay or something like that, then no. Spinosaurus teeth have this kind of top and mostly cleary separated in different sectors with more or less different colors.

Edited by TimoArtcut
  • I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, TimoArtcut said:

Just broken off and glued back on?

Yes. 

this is a very poorly preserved Spinosaurid tooth with lots of filler, and glue. Many beter ones out there. My advice would definitely be to pass on this one. Root is also a total fabrication

• I found this Informative 1