Possible Horse Tooth?

SunFossils

Hello everyone! I went to the beach yesterday, and came back with my first mammal fossil...maybe? It certainly feels like one, but I'm very new to this and am not sure what exactly it could be. The waves were just bringing it in when I spotted it. It was found in Northeast Florida.  My understanding is that fossilized horse teeth are pretty common, so that would be my best guess. But when I look up images of fossilized horse teeth, most of them have a very rectangular shape, some with a slight curve to them. Could it be a tooth from a different mammal, or maybe even something completely different? I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Not an expert but it looks like a horse tooth  what horse what tooth remain questions.

• I Agree 3

Found an Equus .sp lower tooth last week.

2024Feb9th_EquusLowerLeftTooth.thumb.jpg.012f39b787114a9dfdee38b5146a0bb1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Glad to see that others agree, very exciting! At first I thought this was a whole tooth, but now that I've seen Shellseeker's next to mine, I guess it's just a fragment of one. Must've broken a very very long time ago. I assume it won't be possible to identify with 100% certainty what tooth it is since so much of it is missing. I've tried my best to highlight the ridges in the picture below, and compared it to the one Shellseeker has shared with us.

It's interesting to me how similar my piece is to the section I have highlighted in his picture. What really stands out to me is the deep curve mine has. I'm assuming this edge is simply defining the shape of the root. If anyone has any other thoughts or opinions on this, or anything else that you think might be worth noting please feel free to share. 

Anyway, thanks for the help! 

IMG_2098 (1).jpg

tooth snip.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

23 hours ago, SunFossils said:

It's interesting to me how similar my piece is to the section I have highlighted in his picture. What really stands out to me is the deep curve mine has. I'm assuming this edge is simply defining the shape of the root. If anyone has any other thoughts or opinions on this, or anything else that you think might be worth noting please feel free to share.

Note that my tooth is lower left...  Here is the entire lower left jaw of a juvenile Equus... a Horse.  The upper jaw teeth of a horse look VERY different!!!

They are numbered p2, p3, p4, m1,m2,m3 from left to right.. Mine is either a p3 or p4.  Yours is also lower left.. Not sure you can Identify the specific position.. Mine is a p3/p4 because they are larger than the m1/m2 and different from the p2/m3

www.FossilEra.com-specimen-254-111862-21_lowerLeftEquusJaw.thumb.jpg.e3559d0bf21e7157b6ea49326e0c4210.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

A lower left Equus tooth, got it! That's probably as close as we're going to get to identifying it. Thanks everyone for checking it out!

• I found this Informative 1