Megalodon teeth fakes?

Hello I am looking at two megalodon teeth but concerned about whether the root has been rebuilt? I am worried the root is fake and this is making the tooth is larger than its actual cm and thus demanding higher prices. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

IMG_5515.png

I agree. Not the best picture, but root and bourlette looks off.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Cropped contrasted, and rotated:

IMG_5515.png.f72dcf4064678d2a4ddced020ba7c7f6.png

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nope, not for me.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

54 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Cropped contrasted, and rotated:

IMG_5515.png.f72dcf4064678d2a4ddced020ba7c7f6.png

now it is more a prehistoric slingshot :rolleyes:

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 2

Yep.  Totally fake roots.   Lots of these being posted on fb and elswhere with no mention of fake roots.  I've seen a ton of em.  I used to reply to these guys about the fake roots but never got a reply back from any of them.  Then I started blocking them but they keep coming back.  I suppose they just start another fb page and keep on posting.  Lots and lots and lots and lots of dishonest peeps in todays world.  best of luck

RB

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

The bourlette's naturally formed cracks on authentic Meg teeth appear to be scribed with a sharp tool both directions...up and down on this mock up. 

I kinda like the look of the uniform root texture.

The artist has potential if he/she studied real teeth closer. 

Otherwise...nope. 

• Enjoyed 1

5F2A7829-ADF0-4608-A19F-70F632BD2053.thumb.jpeg.a3dd46a5aff07747a55a1489e021873f.jpeg

From elasmo.com.  What the roots should look like. 

Those fake roots are as long as the crown.

Wow…..

• Enjoyed 2

On 2/12/2024 at 4:35 AM, jeffcurnow said:

I am worried the root is fake and this is making the tooth is larger than its actual cm and thus demanding higher prices

I think you were spot on with this thought. The roots are fake, as many others have stated. The long and exaggerated shape of the fake root lends itself well to making the tooth measure larger along the slant. Typically sellers will measure the tooth at its “slant height”. Which is to say from the tip of the crown along the edge to the tip of the root. Larger teeth (those with larger slant heights) tend to command higher prices.

A good explanation on measuring teeth:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)