Petrified wood from the creek bed southern indiana

Rothrockbc

I have collected so much from this creek over the past 3 years that I want to start documenting and sorting by type. If I could get some help with more specific and correct labeling terms I would be so grateful. I’ll just start with 2 smalls. 

45801A64-959E-4ED0-B24B-CAAB3FB2FA1E.thumb.jpeg.27f0bf1f62b56a5879005fdb6979b077.jpeg713E8C99-8FBE-4A53-A315-2BA086EE8E6C.thumb.jpeg.16a7af5126bcf05e599a66019570f0cb.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Where in Indiana were these found? County?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

10 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Where in Indiana were these found? County?

Pike can i ask why

Edited by Rothrockbc

6 hours ago, Rothrockbc said:

Pike can i ask why

Mainly to verify that these specimens could in fact be petrified wood. Indiana has a wide range of geology. Much of which could not contain plant material.;) 

Luckily the geology in Pike county is the correct age being that it is Pennsylvanian.

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/fips-unit.php?code=f18125

The look of petrified wood can be mimicked by natural geology (hence the asking for general location). These specimens have the look of plant material, but it’s hard to say for sure in the photos/videos.  A lot of times one would need polished sections (sometimes on multiple planes) to see the grain and wood structure to make an accurate identification.

I will say that these are very beautiful. I love the sparkle you showed us in the videos. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 2/14/2024 at 8:24 PM, FossilNerd said:

Mainly to verify that these specimens could in fact be petrified wood. Indiana has a wide range of geology. Much of which could not contain plant material.;) 

Luckily the geology in Pike county is the correct age being that it is Pennsylvanian.

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/fips-unit.php?code=f18125

The look of petrified wood can be mimicked by natural geology (hence the asking for general location). These specimens have the look of plant material, but it’s hard to say for sure in the photos/videos.  A lot of times one would need polished sections (sometimes on multiple planes) to see the grain and wood structure to make an accurate identification.

I will say that these are very beautiful. I love the sparkle you showed us in the videos. 

IMG_2227.thumb.jpeg.fbdd7ddc1d76fa2441313fc6a41c902d.jpeg

thank you for your knowledge and the link! That’s helpful! I have cut a few but not well like this one.. I don’t really have the right equipment for it yet.. or the know how to do it right but that’s another reason I’m here! 

• Enjoyed 2

8 hours ago, Rothrockbc said:

thank you for your knowledge and the link! That’s helpful! I have cut a few but not well like this one.. I don’t really have the right equipment for it yet.. or the know how to do it right but that’s another reason I’m here!

Nice texture! Is the piece made of silica or calcium carbonate?

Franz Bernhard

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Nice texture! Is the piece made of silica or calcium carbonate?

Franz Bernhard

🫣...i dont know.... Haha