Dire Wolf or Gray Wolf Vertebrae?

Kayak-IA

Hello Folks!

I have an Iowa river find.  I am fairly certain this is a wolf vertebrae fossil.  This was found in an area rich in Pleistocene Era fossils.  What I do not know is how to distinguish between a Gray Wolf and Dire Wolf vertebrae.  The Dire Wolf vertebrae should be a bit larger than a Gray Wolf vertebrae but I cannot find a source for actual dimensions.

Thank for looking.

20240215_140844.jpg

20240215_140857.jpg

20240215_140914.jpg

20240215_140935.jpg

20240215_140952.jpg

20240215_141008.jpg

20240215_141124.jpg

20240215_141145.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

It is a mammal cervical.  What makes you think dog?  Could it be deer, or cat?  

Paleontologist from University identified it as Dire or Gray Wolf.  Before that, other professional trader examined bone and said most likely Dire Wolf. 

This vertebrae is unlike any deer or elk vertebrae and does not resemble any image of cat vertebrae I have looked into.  It does look exactly like the one and only Dire Wolf vertebrae image I have found and very much like a gray wolf image I have found (if you can trust past internet seller's images).  University expert noted that there is a bit of difference in the size of the Dire and Gray Wolf vertebrae.  I have had no luck finding a research or other paper on this but my resources are limited to Google searches when it comes to wolves.  The La Brea Tar Pits scientists might have 3D imagery and dimensions as they have found a huge number of Dire Wolf bones but I do not know of any way to access.  I guess my question comes down to "is there a resource someone knows of that might provide some answers?" 

I could ask this same question more generally about Pleistocene and Holocene bone identification.  A list of potential resources or helpful publications on this would be great.

@piranha the king of sharing publications.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg