Quartz with Native gold, silver, pyrite, etc… maybe aquamarine or beryl cubic

Agateyes

Hello all,

I have a very interesting specimen I’d like help with on the identification.  I do realize pictures are not very helpful with identifying every aspect, however, it’s what I have.  It looks to be clear quartz or fluorite cubic specimen with a mix of native ores.  I see native silver, gold, possibly pyrite or chalcopyrite.  There are some pale teal/light green crystals on the side, different formations compared to the quartz/fluorite.  It’s a pretty pink/purple under uv light as well, there are also colors like yellow and Orange under the ultraviolet light.  I’m in way an expert but this was my best educated guess.  Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for your time,

Mike

IMG_7738.jpeg

IMG_7739.jpeg

IMG_7733.jpeg

IMG_7728.jpeg

IMG_7731.jpeg

IMG_7737.jpeg

IMG_7736.jpeg

IMG_7740.jpeg

IMG_7727.jpeg

IMG_4439.jpeg

IMG_4440.jpeg

IMG_4441.jpeg

IMG_4442.jpeg

I see no characteristic of quartz or calcite. To make the difference between the two, put a little white vinegar on the white part: if nothing happens it may be quartz, if it makes bubbles it is calcite. Rinse thoroughly.

I don’t see any silver or gold, maybe some "gold of crazy" (pyrite) but I’m not sure either.

On the other hand, the slight brown color of some reflections makes me think of sphalerite. Is the object heavy for its size ?

Coco

Edited by Coco
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thank you for your reply.  The object is relatively heavy, it looks like fluorite but I will test it.  As far as the metals I was guessing at, I have no clues, there are vine like silver strands in a few spots and many hues of coloration on them, it’s a mix for sure.  It’s a beautiful piece, I have some other weird pieces I’ll be listing as well for help.  I inherited them recently and I’m not sure what I’m even looking at.  I’ve been a collector for years, so some of 5e pieces were easy enough, just throwing out some of my stumpers.  Thanks again

It's hard to ID from photographs but from my recent experience with fluorescent minerals; my calcite usually glows pink and the fluorite glows green and/or blue. Also the fluorite forms cube-like formations. Hope this helps.

If you really want to get a good opinion on your mineral inheritances, then I'd take them along to your nearest natural history museum and show them to the resident mineralogist. A visit to a rock hound club might also be helpful. I couldn't even take a wild guess just based on these photos, since there are innumerable possibilities as you probably know.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

This looks like a classic example of a pegmatite that is next too a skarn zone.

The skarn minerals are mostly grossular garnet and epidote,  while the pegmatite are mainly quartz mica and feldspar.

There can be a lot of other minerals in the mix and they are best identified in person rather than by pictures with no information about the rock.

• I Agree 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.