Real Nannotyrannus tooth?

Majority of pictures aren't showing as of this post.  You should also include locality.  That's the most important bit other than pictures.

*Frank*

21 minutes ago, FB003 said:

Majority of pictures aren't showing as of this post.  You should also include locality.  That's the most important bit other than pictures.

Hello, Sorry, I forgot about that here's the locality: 

Hell Creek Formation, Garfield County, Montana.

Just now, ruminate said:

Hello, sorry i forgot about that heres the locality: hell creek formation,garfield county,montana

Thanks. County checks out.  If you can get the rest of the pics to show (I don't think avif is compatible with forum), I'm sure there will be some good feedback. Especially need to see the base.

*Frank*

I can't really tell to be honest.  You may need a picture straight in on the base as the movement (and all the fingers) in the video makes it tough for me personally to see.  Seems to show only one side clearly.  The other side (in the first second of the video) looks like it may have a pinch though that could be damage instead.  What people will be looking for is to see if there is a pinch towards the base that is typical for the majority of nano teeth. I don't see a pinch on the side that that video shows though but pictures tend to represent better than videos. Did they give you a size?  Could potentially be rex.

• I Agree 1

*Frank*

4 minutes ago, FB003 said:

I can't really tell to be honest.  You may need a picture straight in on the base as the movement (and all the fingers) in the video makes it tough for me personally to see.  Seems to show only one side clearly.  The other side (in the first second of the video) looks like it may have a pinch though that could be damage instead.  What people will be looking for is to see if there is a pinch towards the base that is typical for the majority of nano teeth. I don't see a pinch on the side that that video shows though but pictures tend to represent better than videos. Did they give you a size?  Could potentially be rex.

Hello, the size is 1-3/4 inch (straightline)

Il try to ask for more photos, thanks

Just ask for a straight in of the base. He'll know what you are looking for. 

• Thank You 1

*Frank*

10 minutes ago, FB003 said:

Yep ive emailed the person, hopefully a response will come soon

20 hours ago, FB003 said:

Hello,an update heres the photo of the base and the serrations

Screenshot_20240219_053108_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240219_053056_Gallery.jpg

I would not call that a Nano tooth.  Assuming it is from the Hell creek, that would be more likely to be rex.

• Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

7 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I would not call that a Nano tooth.  Assuming it is from the Hell creek, that would be more likely to be rex.

Oh well than thats a good news, thanks.

I'm in the middle on this one.  Looks to be a pretty good pinch going up the one side. Possibly on both but the break makes the one side look flat.  Sorry I can't help more.

Edit: I'm in the nano camp.  If the broken piece was added back in it looks like it'd be a prominent pinch on both sides.  Size is also in range of nano.

Edited by FB003
  • Thank You 1

*Frank*

23 hours ago, ruminate said:

@-Andy-hello andy! Sorry for the @ but we need a confirmation with this one,can you help me with this topic?

It's a Nanotyrannus tooth. If the base root section wasn't damaged, it would have a figure-of-8 shape

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

2 hours ago, -Andy- said:

It's a Nanotyrannus tooth. If the base root section wasn't damaged, it would have a figure-of-8 shape

Thanks for the info! Learned a lot today

Oh yea found this other tooth, being sold as nanno its found in hell creek,montana

Is this really from nanno? The round base tells me something like a rex and i think the unstraight serrations is what makes it a tyrannosaurid tooth, please correct me if i got anything wrong still studying hehe:dinosmile:

IMG_20240220_214855_706.jpg

IMG_20240220_214859_761.jpg

IMG_20240220_214905_036.jpg

IMG-20240220-WA0009.jpg

Unless you have county, it can only technically be tyrannosaurid.  County is the most important thing in identification especially in states with multiple formations.

It does not look to be nano to me though I am unsure if positioning of the tooth can eliminate the pinch or not.  I though I saw that mentioned somewhere if I can find it again.

• I Agree 1

*Frank*

14 hours ago, FB003 said:

Unless you have county, it can only technically be tyrannosaurid.  County is the most important thing in identification especially in states with multiple formations.

It does not look to be nano to me though I am unsure if positioning of the tooth can eliminate the pinch or not.  I though I saw that mentioned somewhere if I can find it again.

The seller said it was found in the garfield county, sorry for the long response, I was at work

Edited by ruminate
Fixing a typo

22 hours ago, ruminate said:

Oh yea found this other tooth, being sold as nanno its found in hell creek,montana

Is this really from nanno? The round base tells me something like a rex and i think the unstraight serrations is what makes it a tyrannosaurid tooth, please correct me if i got anything wrong still studying hehe:dinosmile:

I consider this a Rex, if it indeed is found in the Hell Creek Formation

• Thank You 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yea im wondering, could the serrations be shaped like this because of a phatalogical reasons? Or do you guys think its just worn off.

IMG_20240302_165931_365.jpg

IMG_20240302_165054_818.jpg