Malachite Azurite Native Silver pseuodmorph botryoidal chrysocolla

Agateyes

Hello all,

I need help identifying a piece I was inherited recently.  My best guess is a combination of Azurite, malachite, native silver, botryoidal chrysocolla, and some type gemstone imbedded in the azurite main specimen, with who knows what.  I could be way off, but I’m going off similar pieces of my collection and knowledge.  The top has an interesting metallic botryoidal effect around the main specimen.  I am unsure of the location and it has some weight.  Thanks in advance for your consideration and assistance,

Mike

IMG_7641.jpeg

IMG_7643.jpeg

IMG_7646.jpeg

IMG_7647.jpeg

IMG_7650.jpeg

IMG_7644.jpeg

IMG_7651.jpeg

IMG_7652.jpeg

IMG_7653.jpeg

IMG_7655.jpeg

IMG_7660.jpeg

IMG_7662.jpeg

IMG_7663.jpeg

IMG_7664.jpeg

IMG_7665.jpeg

IMG_7668.jpeg

IMG_7667.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Wow,  I love it,  but I just do not not have the Geology smarts to figure out and answer.  I barely recognize the botryoidal chalcedony with a touch of druzy fossils that I find... Some members do understand the geology and will come along...IMG_5304ce.thumb.jpg.e0eaba921746e4ffa29865008945bc28.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hi, nice specimen. I'm thinking that purple is likely fluorite. The photo is not quite focused enough to see the crystalline structure well. Perhaps another attempt at that area to sharpen up the image?

Or they could be azurite or even purple calcite crystals...or maybe I'm not sure what you are trying to identify but think you are referring to the purple gemmy mass?

If we could get a nice zoom into some of the individual crystals that would be helpful.

Edited by Kato

Hello and thank you for the response.  I was trying to identify the purple mass that is pseudomorph metal of some kind, I think.  I misspoke about the botryoidal chrysocolla, it was for another piece.  The specimen looks to have azurite, malachite, native silver and copper, I’m not sure what else, some looks like gold.  I will get some better pictures loaded, it was high winds today, I apologize.

Relying solely on the colour of minerals leads to errors. We have to determine the crystal system to go further.

No doubt about azurite (which some see purple, but it’s intense blue in reality). You can see the shape of the crystals. For green the most common association is indeed malachite, but chrysocolla is not excluded.

Sur ta photo n° 9, on pourrait deviner que l'azurite recouvre un cristal indéterminé, ce qui arrive également en minéralogie. In the future put numbers to your photos, it will help in the discussion.

About metallic minerals (gold, silver etc) I do not think I see traces.

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

The outer surfaces with the traces of malachite and azurite remind the stuff that comes out of Morenci, Arizona, but none of my examples from there have such an interesting cavity/vug. It's a keeper!

Edited by Wrangellian