oollisD

Hi.

I'm a final year undergraduate student doing my dissertation on sharks. There are a few teeth I found which I feel I should be able to identify given some features preserved, and I don't want to just leave them as indet.

They were found at Walton-on-the-Naze, UK, from the lowermost London Clay Formation, Eocene (Ypresian) in age.

All photos show teeth in the best view that I could capture with me camera/have most of the specimen in focus. Scale bar on the right = 1cm.

For all teeth they are in lingual (left), labial (middle) and mesial (right) views where applicable.

Apologies for the lateral photos being so blurry, didnt get the chance to run them through focus stacking
Thanks in adavance.

Also, if people want to ask me any questions on the disso feel free to.

internet id 55.png

internet id 134.png

internet id 168.png

internet id 177 true.png

internet id 177.png

internet id 24.png

• Enjoyed 2

Since dissertations are generally orally defended, what does your supervisor say?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Top tooth looks like a sand tiger shark tooth of some sort. 

The second tooth from the top is Striatolamia.

Third from the top could be a small and very worn Otodus obliquus?

Fourth from the top has the 'stitching' at the base of the enamel on the labial side, which is usually indicative of Palaeohypotodus rutoti, although the enamel on the lingual side of the crown has striations more like Striatolamia, so i am not sure on this one.  

Fifth from the top looks like Palaeohypotodus rutoti in some ways but i can't see the enamel stitching on the labial side like in the tooth above it, and there should be multiple lateral cusplets in P. rutoti teeth though the specimen is broken at the root edges so who knows how many were originally there. 

Sixth tooth i am not sure. Maybe Gluekmanotodus heinzelini?

Edited by Paleoworld-101
  • I found this Informative 2

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

9 hours ago, Kane said:

Since dissertations are generally orally defended, what does your supervisor say?

There isnt an oral defence for the palaeontology undergrad at my uni, not sure abt masters or phd's. I have spoken to my supervisor but he's only been able to give me a few pointers were to go since he's more of a pterosaur person.

• I found this Informative 1