Found SWFL - looking for help w/ ID

jennifer.

Hi! I’ve found a good amount of fossil shells and coral today. Some I’ve been able to search on this site an others for an ID.

But there are a few I’m not sure of and also might not be shells or coral at all. I’ll list some pics below. Any help is appreciated!

IMG_5956.jpeg

IMG_5957.jpeg

IMG_5958.jpeg

IMG_5959.jpeg

IMG_5960.jpeg

IMG_5961.jpeg

IMG_5962.jpeg

IMG_5963.jpeg

IMG_5965.jpeg

IMG_5966.jpeg

IMG_5967.jpeg

IMG_5968.jpeg

IMG_5969.jpeg

IMG_5970.jpeg

IMG_5971.jpeg

IMG_5972.jpeg

IMG_5977.jpeg

IMG_5978.jpeg

IMG_6002.jpeg

IMG_6003.jpeg

IMG_6010.jpeg

IMG_6011.jpeg

IMG_5993.jpeg

IMG_5994.jpeg

IMG_5995.thumb.jpeg.44a9e1f8e0d3fd324e3a6180a41aa4e8.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2024 at 6:46 PM, jennifer. said:

Hi! I’ve found a good amount of fossil shells and coral today. Some I’ve been able to search on this site an others for an ID.

But there are a few I’m not sure of and also might not be shells or coral at all. I’ll list some pics below. Any help is appreciated!

Jennifer, 

Not a very prompt response.  A lot depends on the knowledge that members possess. I know some things about modern and fossil shells in SouthWest Florida and with your help, I may be able to get you a few identifications if you have not identified them all yet.

The last time you posted  was February 28th,  that is quite a while.  

So I'll start you with one , your #5.. 

I have some of these and they were identified in the following thread.  If you respond, indicating that you are still monitoring this thread, I'll work on identification additional numbered photos.  Let me know.  

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Here is another.. Certainly your #1, possibly #2.... Cerithium caloosaense.

Cerithiumcaloosaense.JPG.abdc1c0c15614bb32f14372b22db023c.JPGIMG_3028ce.thumb.jpg.8b191b3e0044e388ec4862a664e83751.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Your #3 is a Top shell (modern name)..

There are more than 15 named variations.  I do not have the knowledge/skills to differentiate them. Their scientific genus is calliostoma. 

https://neogeneatlas.net/genera/calliostoma/ 

Your #4 is the internal endocast or steinkern of a shell.  I do not recognize it.

Your #7 is an Arca genus. Not sure which species

https://neogeneatlas.net/genera/arca/

Your #9 could be cymatosyrinx

https://neogeneatlas.net/genera/cymatosyrinx/

@Coco

• Thank You 1

@Shellseeker- Thanks for the responses. I definitely don’t have them identified, so thanks for the follow-up and information. 

47 minutes ago, jennifer. said:

@Shellseeker- Thanks for the responses. I definitely don’t have them identified, so thanks for the follow-up and information. 

Not a problem,  sorry it took so long.  #6 and #8 have me scratching my head,  but over time I usually get he IDs

• Thank You 1

36 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Not a problem,  sorry it took so long.  #6 and #8 have me scratching my head,  but over time I usually get he IDs

#8 has the look of the frond oysters that I find (on rare occasions) on Navarre Beach, FL. But I can’t find anything with my internet searches that suggest they could be an ancestor or anything. So I’m stumped as well. I may not be searching the right key words.