Possible Ordovician tabulate syringophyllidae coral

ntloux

I found this specimen in the bed of Stonelick Creek in Batavia Ohio.  This heavily tumbled specimen was very unlike all of the other Ordovician limestone shale rocks in the bed.  Presumably it arrived there through one of three modes: 1) the creek carried it from a more distant source, 2) it could possibly have been carried by a glacier, or 3) Native Americans formerly lived there and it could be a manuport.  At first I thought it might have been a meteorite but alas it I concluded it was a fossil due to the low iron content, the relatively low density and the bubbly nature of the specimen.  The specimen is about 6 inches long and images coral1 and coral2 display the side and top of the specimen respectively.  From the Atlas of Ordovician Life I suspect it is a tabulate coral of the syringophyllidae family and the Calapoecia genus.  Is this reasonable?  I would appreciate any comments.

coral1.jpg

Coral2.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

It was a good call to trim the board there. It would have been structurally unsound. :)

I'm sure it's not a coral as the objects appear to be spheroidal and show no internal coral structure. Maybe oncolites or similar if it's organic at all.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin