Need Help Identifying these Fossils. 1st Fossil

DinoMonkey

Hello Everyone,

I acquired the fossils years ago through an estate sale.  The original owner had poorly packed them in a cardboard box and some pieces were broken. They have been repacked very carefully since I found the damage and repacked them 20+ years ago. I am just taking the time to study them and trying to ID as many as possible.  I appreciate and am thankful for any help!

The original owner was an amateur archy sometime in the 1920s - 1930s. The only information available was these were found "Out West". The last member of the family was elderly and she  had been suffering from Alzheimer's for years. Scant info I realize but it is all I have. 

First Fossil: 

1-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

1-4.jpg

1-5.jpg

1-6.jpg

1-7.jpg

1-8 (1).jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Hmm, its hard to tell what exactly it is without knowning where it was found. From all what i can see, i would say its a mammal bone, probably part of an arm or an leg.

I dont know where exactly, but i saw an episode of "Dino-hunters" on Netflix : a team of paleontologists worked at a desert like mammoth site, somewhere in the "west-states". Maybe its from somewhere there ? 

I think this piece is from the pleistocene era, and thats all i can say. Maybe some Forum members have some ideas too.

Are the measurements in inch or centimeter? Thats my last question, i dont know how big it is.

Edited by Brevicolis
  • I Agree 1

Are good signatures really that important ?

This, and your other piece for identification, may possibly be modern. Perhaps perform the burn test to be certain. 

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Brevicolis said:

Are the measurements in inch or centimeter?

Inches -- nobody divides centimeters into eight parts!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

25 minutes ago, CDiggs said:

Definitely looks like a Proboscidean carpal\tarsal to my eye.

For comparison; https://umorf.ummp.lsa.umich.edu/wp/wp-content/3d/viewer.html?name=B_R_MC3&extension=obj

Great tool at this Link...   I have used them before.   Thanks

• I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I did not see a way to edit my post. The original owner worked in Mexico City during the 1920s and 1930s. He was an Engineer on numerous construction projects. He would pay the workers for any artifact found. Built an incredible collection. I am ASSUMING the bones came from the same general area but the best info I got when I asked was an answer along the lines of "I guess So". From what I understand he did explore sites out and about from the city. 

Hope this helps. 

So it looks like I have multiple Mastodon fossils and an aquatic animal most likely in the Whale family. Very, very happy with that info. 

Nice!  the  Proboscidean carpal\tarsal idea sounds reasonable

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana