I had a crab concretion CT scanned and then 3D printed it

mamlambo

I've always wondered what a crab concretion would look like when it was CT scanned and had the chance to do so recently thanks to the friendly people at Pacific Radiology here in New Zealand. 

The concretion contains a Tumidocarcinus giganteus crab from the Miocene of New Zealand.

Here is the concretion I scanned, the legs were visible on the side so I knew a crab was inside:

ff2.jpg.14325f26da3594b8ad402014afa9206b.jpg

One of the slices of the crab after I loaded the DICOM images into 3D slicer. There were 203 slices.

ff1.jpg.493bd9adde465fb639ad81f517ed197d.jpg

By segmenting the images, telling the program what is rock and what is not rock, you can create a 3D image for import into Blender or other 3D images to prepare it for 3D printing. The 3D mesh was made up of 770 142 triangles. After making it manifold (water-tight), I imported it into Cura to generate the GCODE for my 3D printer. It also adds supports to be able to print overhangs.

ff4.jpg.bc9a681c7f6f2dcb56000d7e38ced1fb.jpg

Here is the 3D printed crab sitting outside the concretion. It is accurate in size.

ff3.jpg.25507ab0d06d1076881f1ed786bf638d.jpg

I also scanned a penguin concretion which is on my Sketchfab profile (https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/fossil-penguin-ct-scan-segmentation-take-2-dd9cb20684d4471dad2757ab8a53a548)

Here is the video of the process: 

You can look at the 3D model on Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/ct-scan-of-fossil-crab-inside-concretion-25f26cb23a6046419521ed2422d5741d

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 19

Unbelievable. But heck, I was amazed when my dad brought home our first black and white TV.

• Enjoyed 2

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Hi,

Incredible !

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I hope you do eventually prep the crab -- it looks great.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

cool.  When you say you segmented it, did you manually go through all 203 slices, or does 3D slicer do that for you?  I have only started to mess with the program... downloaded it but have not found time to use it.  Heck, I should go try it instead if doing this....

1 hour ago, jpc said:

cool.  When you say you segmented it, did you manually go through all 203 slices, or does 3D slicer do that for you?  I have only started to mess with the program... downloaded it but have not found time to use it.  Heck, I should go try it instead if doing this....

When you apply a segmentation, it can do some of the work for you but with fossils there sometimes isn't great contrast between the rock and the fossil so you have to go in and do some manually. It doesn't take too long.

4 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I hope you do eventually prep the crab -- it looks great.

I have a few bigger ones that I have to do first :)

Nice!
Great to see such effective use of CT scanning and 3d printing.

• Thank You 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Wow... I just looked at your penguin concretion 3d you mentioned in the first post... that is a great specimen! 

• Thank You 1