flowntheloop

Is this a Lepidodendron root? 

Northeast Alabama, US. Pottsville Formation.

IMG_5844.thumb.JPG.4a9fcc8eea62a8da3731e487a2832506.JPG

IMG_5845.thumb.JPG.18e9d4073f657fab94dad08778426d05.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

This looks more like a branch to me. Lepidodendron or a related species.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Or Sigillaria? The specimens coming from this site so far are not in the best state of preservation making ID difficult at least if not impossible, and being small fragments doesn't help. Is this state of preservation typical of all the specimens from this site, or just the ones you can't ID?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Or Sigillaria? The specimens coming from this site so far are not in the best state of preservation making ID difficult at least if not impossible, and being small fragments doesn't help. Is this state of preservation typical of all the specimens from this site, or just the ones you can't ID?

For context:

This area was previously (several decades ago) blasted/mined for coal. It is now mostly unmanaged forest. My partner and I are digging our foundation, and I've just been rummaging through what I am able (mostly what is at the surface--and small-- as I'm partially disabled/physically limited). I don't think I have a big enough sample size to tell you whether this is the typical state of preservation :)

Also, I'm a complete newbie, and I just get excited at anything that I recognize as a fossil (and want to know more). Today was my first time using a chisel and a hammer to look for things inside of rocks (will maybe post one of my finds later).

I'm still kind of awkward with searching (and dealing with the mud from recent rains). I'm sorry if I'm posting things that are unidentifiable!

Edited by flowntheloop
forgot something

3 minutes ago, flowntheloop said:

Today was my first time using a chisel and a hammer to look for things inside of rocks (will maybe post one of my finds later).

Don't wait until you hear a rock shard whizz by your ear at just under the speed of sound to put on eye protection. 

• I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Don't wait until you hear a rock shard whizz by your ear at just under the speed of sound to put on eye protection. 

Thanks for this reminder. <3 I had some of my partner's on over my prescription glasses, but I need to find some that are a better fit. Maybe some safety goggles :D I'll be ordering those this week. Luckily, I was only chipping/peeling through some of the softer rock (some of it closer to shale than the local sandrock))

Edited by flowntheloop