Howdy all,

Found this Vinlandostrophia last year near the end of the warm season and decided to make it into a necklace without first identifying the exact species.

I'm guessing it's a rarer flavor as this is one of two angel-winged vinlandostrophias I've found in my four years of hunting the Drakes Formation and out of the hundreds of vinlandostrophias I've found.

20240227_005854.jpg

20240227_005928.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I'm also curious as to how many species of vinlandostrophia are present in Kentucky and how to identify each one.

There are at least 5 species of Vinlandostrophia in Kentucky, and the Drakes Formation has many (if not all species). 

This Kentucky Geological Society “fossil of the month” page on V. ponderosa has a quick chart of different species found in Kentucky. Look for the “other species” section.

https://www.uky.edu/KGS/fossils/fossil-month-07-2018-vinlandostropia.php

They also recommend the paper below for more detailed descriptions. I likely have others. I can look after work today.

Alberstadt, L.P., 1979, The brachiopod genus Platystrophia: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1066-B, 19 p., plus 7 plates.

Here is a Google Books link I found pretty quickly. I’m certain there is a free pdf version out there as well from the USGS. If you can’t find it, shoot me a PM. ;) 

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C18&q=Geological+Survey+professional+paper+%3B+1066-A-G.&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&t=1709031126040&u=%23p%3Dbmh0_y-iwgMJ

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)