I'm off today not feeling well and was walking my dog. I happened to look down at the rocks in my yard and found this nice thorax and pygidium of a trilobite.

image.png.e853960b92a9ac30032ef87e33d023b4.png

I only know the rocks exposed are in the Mahantango. This is the first recognizable fossil I've found aside from small brachs.

image.png.7d0a18567ce2d62bc6e7f9191deadebd.png

• Enjoyed 11

Very nice find! Perhaps there are some complete prone specimens in the nearest exposure…

1 hour ago, Andúril Flame of the West said:

Very nice find! Perhaps there are some complete prone specimens in the nearest exposure…

The nearest exposure is the entire bedrock of my lot. Haha. There's at least one 2m high section on the high end of my property, and then 3-4 m on the low end of the property. Every exposed rock edge under the soil is the Mahantango and there's virtually no soil at all. I imagine it's a matter of time before I find decent enrolled and prone trilobites as the second on the high end needs dug out so I can better park vehicles.

• Enjoyed 3

• 3 weeks later...

I love accidental finds. :b_love1:

This is why I walk about bent over double and staring at the ground.

I can't stand up straight anymore and constantly have bruises on my head from walking into walls, but it's worth it.

Found a dirham the other day, too. :)

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I am very thankful for the 2 meters or so of beautiful fluvial soil on my property but to have fossiliferous Devonian bedrock would be a dream! Preservation looks great!

• Enjoyed 1